Movie time. I watched "The Perks of Being a Wallflower." It is a coming-of-age story. There is a lot of high school angst and learning to deal with other people as you journey into your teens. A lot of dangerous activity with drinking and drugs. The story takes place in the early 90's (I believe) in Pittsburgh, PA.
Call me naive but I have to research certain parts that happened in the book (movie). I am ignorant in some ways of the world and I don't want to put any spoilers in here. While researching, I noticed that a lot of people did not catch the ending of what truly happened. So many young people who read others posts, then turned around and posted wrote : "No way! I've got to re-read that book!" It was a subtle mention in the book. Most of them were very young teens when they read the book though, and they claim that could be why they did not catch it. Things like that do not become very apparent to people until they have read or heard about it and can really comprehend it.
I am not a big fan of E Watson as I did not watch but maybe one or two of the H Potter series. She does her American accent well. It must be very liberating for her to have short hair. E Miller is really good in his role. I have seen him before. He plays dark and troubled quite well. Lerman, too. He is good - I have also seen him before although as a much younger character.
My daughter and her friends have heard a lot about this movie and want to watch it. This first love/crush/kiss may have greater meaning to somebody closer to that age than my old, faded memories. LOL!

1 comment:
I heard about this when it first opened but it seems to have been overshadowed by many Oscar movies at this time of year. I probably will not see it, since coming of age movies are not my favorite now that I have long ago come of age!
Post a Comment