Emotional abuse is just as damaging at physical abuse. One turns into the other. Sister 1956 has been in a relationship of emotional (verbal) abuse from her husband for many years. It has finally turned into a physical problem for her. She is currently in the hospital for possible heart problems. What sounds to me like a panic attack from all her stress. Her BP was 171 over 100. I won't go into a lot of detail but my quiet week-end blew up in smoke when she called me from the hospital Friday night.
The frustrating part is that you cannot help the abused until they want help for themselves and make a move toward helping themselves. They will justify every move they or their abuser makes. Talking about it just seems to upset her more and we are trying hard to get her BP down. I'll be driving over 100 miles again today to visit her in the hospital and show my support.
There are many good articles on the Internet about emotional abuse and bi-polar disorder. Her husband was being tested for signs of bi-polar activity but they have no insurance and were being given the run around by our beautiful health system.
He will probably live to be a hundred.

3 comments:
Maybe some CDs of peaceful music to listen to ... with earphones. Perhaps a book of gentle poetry...that you read to her?
I'm so sorry you are going through this. Sorry for your sister, of course, but you are right - there IS no help you can really give until she realizes that she needs and wants help. THAT'S why I feel worse for you. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.
Sorry - that was me. I don't know how to get rid of that and if I forget to sign in, it puts my first attempt at a blog name up there.
Post a Comment