Monday, July 20, 2009

Moonflowers are blooming


It is difficult to explain the fragrance of these beautiful flowers. It drifts across the yard. If you are outside in the evening you can catch a faint whiff of something so clean, so fresh and fragrant and they are hard to miss.

The ones on the side of the house have completely disappeared (I guess I cut them back before they seeded) but I have a new spurt of them in the front of my patio. Rather hardy stock.

I didn't even know they existed until I moved into this house and they began to bloom late in the summer of 2002. They are just "wow". They bloom at night and on very cloudy days. Their bloom lasts about one 24 hour period. Then they droop and fall off like big, used, cloth dinner napkins.

5 comments:

Tabor said...

I planted several moonflower plants this year and they are just now getting large enough to see on the trellis. No buds! So, yours are perennials???

Tabor said...

I just took a second look and I wonder if these are datura and I am thinking of another plant with a common name of moonflower.

Peruby said...

Yes, as far as I can tell:
Datura metel Belle Blanche

And yes, perennial. Hallelujah!

Good luck with yours, I hope you enjoy them. I do!

Cheyenne said...

Beautiful flower. I never heard of them until you started posting about them.

thecrazysheeplady said...

I've heard of these, but never seen (or smelled) one. Lucky you!