Saturday, July 04, 2009

Happy 4th of Ju....


NOT how I wanted to start my holiday today!

I found it this morning. Or, rather my cat Teton did. I walked out of the kitchen with my cup of coffee and noticed her sitting on the back of my TV chair staring outside at the open front door. I'm like "What is SHE looking at?" What is up there? I looked. I groaned.

I took pictures. They are tiny little insects. Not exactly certain what, yet. I didn't want to look that long or get too close. Even though I am dreading this discovery, I can't help but be amazed at their ability to build such a beautiful structure. The picture is blurry. That's right. I'm not getting that close and I wanted to snap away quickly and get the H-E -double hockey sticks out of there. Do you blame me?

From the looks of it, they have been at it a long time. I usually only use the front door to retrieve the newspaper and the mail. That is twice a day. Funny that I didn't notice it before. Sigh.

The town festival is going on over the hill in the park. I just don't have any inclination to go this year. I am not having my annual 4th party and I am a wee bit bummed about it, but I have a headache feeling coming on, so I imagine it is probably for the best. (Huge fight with daughter the other night, so my mood has been rather sour). I overslept this morning and am beginning to feel sick.

I am headed to my sister's house this evening. Her son loves to set off fireworks. He makes me nervous. I am taking calico beans and my usual cheese ball. I am also taking my headphones to drown out the noise of the fireworks. Where is that mosquito spray? And the Advil.

3 comments:

themom said...

That looks totally wicked. I make a habit of walking around the house in the summer, in order to catch nests in their fledgling state. This sucker has been under construction for quite awhile I would assume. Definitely a job for a professional. Happy 4th!

Tabor said...

I think they call it a paper wasp nest. Make sure that you attack after dark when they are all in bed!

SG said...

Happy July 4th.. hope you have a great day!