Our tree has no holes in it. It is very full and very tall. My daughter must be a minimalist. I would expect it would happen sooner or later. My Mom was a pack rat. I am a pack rat. My daughter is determined to break the habit. She did much better on the lights than I do. My work tends to look like a kindergartner's finger painting. She put about six ornaments on the tree. Me? I'd put every single one I could find on the tree. We don't put ice sickles on because of the cats. We are not big on tinsel.At least it is done. I was having one of those super bad days on Thursday. I got to a school to update them to fiber. I call a couple of weeks in advance. I ask the school technician to pick a day that is good for them. For the school. What day can I take the Internet down? It may go smoothly, sometimes there is a glitch and it take a bit longer. You never can tell with technology. Like traffic.
I arrive at 8:30 to set up and take the network down at nine a.m. He asks "Can this be done by 10:30?" I'm thinking to myself. 'No. He didn't just say that!' Yes, he did. He jinxed it. I sighed. The last time I switched a school over was probably August or September. I had not touched the fiber switches in four months. One problem after another cropped up. If something could go wrong, something did go wrong. Ugh!
At eleven a.m. one of the elementary buildings were scheduled to visit with Santa. Didn't happen. Nope. I was traumatized. People kept calling the technician. "Are we doing this thing or what?" "Is it back up, yet?" Groan. To make matters worse my home office won't answer their phones. They want everything submitted in a help desk ticket. Well, when you don't have the Internet that's kind of hard to do. It was embarrassing to say the least when I couldn't even reach my own people for help. Yeah, that went over well.
Thirteen years. Same old, same old. Issues with communication. Two problems were their end and one was my end. We finally got things rolling at noon. Just in time for the Santa video session to end. The children had to settle for an elf video at two o'clock later that afternoon.
Me? I got a major migraine headache. I went home and took the rest of the day off sick. It was six p.m. before I felt human again.
My co-workers keep telling me "This isn't major surgery. No body is going to die if we don't get the Internet back up." But, still. I care. I want the customer inconvenienced the least amount of time as possible. I feel responsible. I take my work seriously even if it isn't major surgery, it is important to me.
Sigh. I have (had) a box of chocolate covered cherries. Why do I bring them into the house? They have to be the clear liquid ones. I almost make myself sick on them. You would think with my migraine problem I would avoid them. I will have them bought and half eaten before it even occurs to me "Oh, yeah. These could exacerbate your headaches." Idiot.
Sigh. I have (had) a box of chocolate covered cherries. Why do I bring them into the house? They have to be the clear liquid ones. I almost make myself sick on them. You would think with my migraine problem I would avoid them. I will have them bought and half eaten before it even occurs to me "Oh, yeah. These could exacerbate your headaches." Idiot.
3 comments:
When you schedule for the school you need to say that the Internet will be down for 90% of the day...and then when it isn't you will look so smart!
I do try to tell them that if all goes well, it won't be down long. But if there are problems, it is hard to say how long it will be down. Two or three hours.
Usually the job is arranged so that if they aren't back up in an hour, we can put them back the way they were and shoot for another day. This was a "no turning back" phase of an upgrade. Oh well.
we used to put up tons of ornaments. practically fill up the tree. :)
Post a Comment