Sunday, November 02, 2008

Lips

If you have experienced seeing The Rocky Horror Picture Show, you will understand the above photo.

Now, about RHPS. People actually do this? I thought trekkies were bad. Watching the movie at home is one thing. Going to a production as to where they show the movie in a theater and quite a few members of the audience dress up as one of the characters in the movie was another thing.

You can get a prop bag and sort of participate with the show. For example, when the character says the phrase "Great Scott!" the audience throws their toilet paper into the air from their prop bag. There are also water pistols involved. I prayed that nobody filled their pistol up in the bathroom with any liquid other than water. You get a newspaper to put on top of your head.

It may have been better if I had actually seen the movie before I went to the show because for most of the time you cannot hear the actors. It is very raunchy. Not at all tasteful. It is gross, quite sexually suggestive and sadly sets one's mind to wondering if people actually do behave in such a perverted and obtuse manner. And if they do, I am so glad I don't know them or about them.

It was an experience and I will leave it at that. It certainly isn't for everybody. I knew the gist of the event and I was prepared for some raunchiness. It was absolutely bizarre.

At the beginning of the show the emcee asked for the youngest members of the audience along with the oldest. There were two young teens. One was eleven, the other thirteen. I felt sorry for them. At that age I may have been horrified by the movie.

In following the cult-like fashion of this showing, I am not longer a virgin so to speak. This is somebody who has never seen the movie. Well, it was on target in that respect. As some women do after their first sexual encounter, I was asking myself, "Is that it?" And you come away feeling disappointed and wondering what all the hoopla is about. There certainly were a lot of folks enjoying themselves. Perhaps as in the act itself, it takes time to get really good at it. I'll pass on seeing if that experience works for the show, thank-you very much.

3 comments:

Tabor said...

Because of all the hype and rewards that 30 Rock and The office have been getting my husband and I decided to watch both last night. The shows left us empty and we thought they were really silly if not even stupid. Maybe we had to sit through more episodes...but no thanks.

Peruby said...

Never seen 30 Rock, but have seen The Office once. I feel the same way you do.

Miki said...

We used to go to ROcky Horor as a midnight movie, when I was in High School. It was shocking to my mother that we had to go at midnight, and in a group. WHy are you bringing that stuff, water guns? Umbrellas? TOilet Paper? WHat do you mean you get up and Dance in the middle of the movie? What are you all thinking? Come to think of it, we really never watched the movie, we just participated in the insanity. We even did the time warp at my wedding, me and my oldest friends! I have pictures that the photog took, somewhere!
You ae right, at this stage in my life, I really don't think it would be as much fun as when I was younger to see the movie.