Sunday, November 23, 2008

In over our heads



Do you think my daughter got in over her head when she told me she wanted a jigsaw puzzle? Heh, heh. We went to the library and were looking at some magazines. There are a few jigsaw puzzles strewn on the tables. We got busy putting pieces in one. It was a 500 piece photograph of a warm and cozy inn with people sledding and building snowmen.

She picked this one out herself. 750 pieces and oval shaped. Not a good starter puzzle. Speaking of starters. We are looking for a starter car for her. It is kind of interesting to teach her about used car salesmen and their sly little tricks. I am brushing up on the psychology since it has been 13 years since I purchased a car.

An older gentleman in the library parking lot barked at me "Your car wasn't even made in America!" I admit that back in the 70's and 80's my brother forbid me to purchase a foreign car. He works in a steel mill. I drove Fords, Buick's and Pontiac's. Guess who had to keep coming to pick me up when I broke down. When you are young and trying to work your way up the corporate ladder, the cars are not so reliable or well maintained.

In the mid-90's he was okay with me purchasing a Honda Civic that was made in Canada. He has never had to pick me up from along side the road again. Well, that and I have Triple A. But, I rarely have to use it. Once I locked myself out of my car. It was so new the Triple A had to create a tool to open the locked car. That was miles away from home and the next two times I did it, my Honda dealer would just run a new key to me. I love this service! I have never had that with a Ford/Chevy/Pontiac. Sorry, but I have to take care of myself and facts are facts.

As a side note, before you think I am some kind of bimbo that keeps locking herself out of her car, let me explain. Normally, I throw my keys in my purse, right? Well, when you work with technology equipment and are about to walk into a school, you do not take your purse inside. In the winter, it is easier with pockets. When the weather starts to get warmer and I leave my coat in my car... well, you see what happens.

2 comments:

Cheyenne said...

I have always had an American car. Now we have a Ford Mustang GT and an F-150 Ford King Ranch 4-wheel drive truck. We need that truck for the snow we get around here, which I hear is going to be really bad this Winter. I would never think of driving or owning a foreign car, but it doesn't bother me that others do. I was brought up in a Ford family so it's hard to get away from that.

Peruby said...

My brother is a huge Ford fan. Minus a couple of years that he experiemented with AMC vehicles. Then it was back to Ford (mustangs and trucks). I grew up loving both.