
Christmas Past
I am going to guess 1987 for this photo. My nephew (having open heart surgery Tuesday) is the one circled in red. I am directly behind him. One of the rare years I did not have my hair dyed blond and my sister (his mother) is directly behind me. I have one brother in-law missing from the picture. I believe that he is on the far left of the frame holding his son (chubby in gold/white/blue). You can just see the top of one of my brother's head at the bottom. I believe a friend of the family was taking the photo. Two people from this photo have passed away. My Mom, in white (center right) and the fellow in blue with the moustache. He was my nephew's father (another brother-in-law).
Besides replacing a valve that was placed in my nephew's heart when he was a toddler, they are going to do what I believe is called Cardiac cryoablation. My memory is hazy and I am trying to make sense of notes I took on December 17th. From what I am reading this condition is common for those who have had Tetrology of Fallot. A question that has come up is "Will the team use the same anesthesiologist who made the previous mistake?"
My sister did not get her second continuance. The courts will only bend so far. It is not her fault that an error was made when the surgery was scheduled the first time, however she is a repeat offender and she has been in jail/prison numerous times. So much so, that the family stopped bailing her out. How many times were we supposed to pay for her lawyer, court costs, rehab, and many other monetary needs? When she first started down her path of misery, it was the late 80's and her children were very young. They were taken care of by their father and his Mom, along with my family. Every other year or so she was in prison. Out for nine months, in for two years. She was in prison when my Mom died and was not able to attend the funeral.
Besides replacing a valve that was placed in my nephew's heart when he was a toddler, they are going to do what I believe is called Cardiac cryoablation. My memory is hazy and I am trying to make sense of notes I took on December 17th. From what I am reading this condition is common for those who have had Tetrology of Fallot. A question that has come up is "Will the team use the same anesthesiologist who made the previous mistake?"
My sister did not get her second continuance. The courts will only bend so far. It is not her fault that an error was made when the surgery was scheduled the first time, however she is a repeat offender and she has been in jail/prison numerous times. So much so, that the family stopped bailing her out. How many times were we supposed to pay for her lawyer, court costs, rehab, and many other monetary needs? When she first started down her path of misery, it was the late 80's and her children were very young. They were taken care of by their father and his Mom, along with my family. Every other year or so she was in prison. Out for nine months, in for two years. She was in prison when my Mom died and was not able to attend the funeral.
After a while, it just became routine. We could have been crass and started drawings on how long it would be before she was back in jail. She has the knack for finding desperate men who will supply her with money until they wise up to her. It is remarkable how long she can play them. It boggles the mind. I believe that some of the men never do wise up. They just "quit" her for a while. After a few years away she can weasel her way back into their lives. Amazing.
His sister will not be able to get the time away from college and her job to spend any significant amount of time with us. She was prepared to spend the entire week the first time around. We call it the "dry run". A lot of the original group do not have the time away from work and family life to give this time around. That leaves me with more of the load. My sister may not have been able to drive, but she could cook and clean up a storm and being his Mother would have been able to nurse a bit more comfortably than I. My niece can drive, but will be an unavailable two hours away. I won't be able to leave him alone. My nephew may be relieved that his "hovering" Mother is out of the picture, but as for me, she would have been a great help. But, that is that.
His sister will not be able to get the time away from college and her job to spend any significant amount of time with us. She was prepared to spend the entire week the first time around. We call it the "dry run". A lot of the original group do not have the time away from work and family life to give this time around. That leaves me with more of the load. My sister may not have been able to drive, but she could cook and clean up a storm and being his Mother would have been able to nurse a bit more comfortably than I. My niece can drive, but will be an unavailable two hours away. I won't be able to leave him alone. My nephew may be relieved that his "hovering" Mother is out of the picture, but as for me, she would have been a great help. But, that is that.
1 comment:
Peruby, I am thinking of you, and will be keeping up with you via the blogging world. I hope that all goes well with your nephew. He will appreciate all that you do and can do for him. Don't do too much though, you will need your strength to give your nephew continued care. You will also need time for you, bring a good book or a few good movies, while he sleeps, you sleep, just like when your daughter was little, and remember to eat! Keep us posted...
Post a Comment