Sunday, March 02, 2008

Back in the day

When I was a little girl we swam in the lake pictured above. Today it is stinky and dirty. I don't see how I would have stuck my big toe in it, let along went completely under water. My sister said that it wasn't dirty and stinky back in the 60's, but I wonder.

My fondest memories of this lake were the large beach balls that we would bat back and forth. The sand was a bit silty and if you don't know what that is, it is like a sticky mud. It was almost black in places. Pretty gross now that I think about it.

We have home movies (on 8mm) with this lake and a lot of Christmases on them. What was fun about 8mm was that we could play them backwards. Hilarious. We moved a few to VHS over 10 years ago. I wouldn't mind gathering the rest of them up and transferring them over to DVD format.

My daughter, nieces and nephews roll their eyes and run when I get that old tape out. My sisters and I love it. We laugh and say "Didn't we ever mow the grass?", or when we look at the old dogs that we used to own. One is of my sister with the old fashioned hair dryers. Where you place the hood over your head and it is attached with a hose to the dryer. And, this is great. Each of us were reading a book whenever the camera came around (unless we were outside). That is what we did back in the 60's. We read books. Amazing.

1 comment:

Miki said...

I imagined the snapshots in my mind. After going thru a ton of photos from my mohter's, I can just imagine how those 8mm reels make you giggle! Must be fun to actually enjoy them with your sisters. Glad that you have that closeness with them. I only have one sister that I am that close to, and there are times that she forgets I had a mother, and it wasn't her! Love her to pieces though. I miss the "good old days" when things seemed so easy...