Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Vidal Blanc

orange tree tops


I can still find some color contrast out there, but not for long. For one reason or another the song from The Mamas and the Papas keeps running through my head :

All the leaves are brown
And the sky is gray
I've been for a walk
On a winter's day
I'd be safe and warm
If I was in L.A.
California Dreaming....

I have never been to California. When my sister and I were in El Paso (she was in the Army), we talked about driving over to San Diego and sticking our big toe in the Pacific ocean just to say we touched it or something.

Today, I was not rushed like I have been. I treated myself to a nice, sit-down lunch here. I did not sample any of the wines, but I purchased a bottle recommended by the waitress. I am having a glass of Vidal Blanc, now. It is quite good. I am drinking it warm. I will chill it for my next glass, maybe tomorrow evening. I did have it with cheese (cheesecake). I think I ruined the taste. I am sure I did. I realize now that I should have picked up a wine stopper.

I am looking for gifts to give my sisters. Two sisters are wine drinkers, and two of us are beer drinkers. One drinks whiskey, vodka, rum and beer. My nephew is now engaged to a wine representative. Here is a description of that type of job. She is helping her future mother-in-law learn about the different types of wine. We are a bit ignorant on the subject to say the least.

Oooh. The wine list says 10% off of 12 bottles. If I get one bottle of each except the Vidal Blanc I can just about get one of each one except the one that is sold out and the fruit wines at the bottom. It doesn't say I have to limit myself to 12, I can get a bottle of each. That should make a nice collection to start with and then try them throughout the long winter months.

I still want to make our own wine here. Well, my glass is empty. :( Time for some fresh air.

3 comments:

Miki said...

Your sister is lucky to have someone help her in wine edu! I am more than ignorant to say the least. I know more about wine coolers than I do about wine, and we have wonderful wineries here on long island. Personally, I just like the fruityones, I have not acquired a taste for the real dry ones! I do like to go to the wineries though, once a year, my husband and I do it, usually on our anniversary. We purchase a few bottles from different wineries and then settle in t drink them with dinner on sundays. It usually takes a few weeks, and then we have satisfied that wine craving until the next time one of us gets the itch!

Tabor said...

I love wines and am somewhat self taught which means I know nothing. Anyway, one of the best gifts is a wine pump with stoppers. It allows you to pump the air out of your opened bottle of wine and since I am the only wine drinker at my house, it means my wine lasts much longer. Go to my wine blog for a picture of the one that I have---which was a gift from my son.

Peruby said...

Miki - Already, I am thinking I can take it or leave it. I am going to go and get a glass of the Vidal Blanc chilled to see if it will change my mind.

Tabor - Funny you should say that. I went to your wine site about two hours before your post. I was thinking, "Hey, I know somebody with a wine blog!"