Thursday, February 10, 2005

Scanning for Spyware


Giving Microsoft's beta version of spyware a go. I have been using it at work for about a week, and just tonight downloaded it to my home PC. I am so glad I don't have any illegal software or download any music illegally to my computer, I might feel a bit nervous. MS is so nosy.

The medical term is dysplastic nevus. Separated, the word dysplasia means abnormal skin growth and nevus means mole or birthmark. So, it all just boils down to abnormal mole. I will wait until I speak with my daughter's dermatologist, but what I read on the Internet means that she is at a higher risk than normal for skin cancer. Sunscreen spf15 or higher on a daily basis and wide-brimmed hats.

I went to my daughter's freshman orientation tonight at the school. Me and a friend made sure to get there early so we could get a good seat. As it turns out they had more people attending than what they ever expected. It appeared that the lecture hall was going to be too small. So, they let all the people who were still standing out in the hallway (the ones who came late) go to the cafeteria. Then, we (the people sitting in the lecture hall) were told to go to the cafeteria. And, guess who had no chairs, now? Bullshit! I ended up getting a coughing fit halfway though the meeting and had to leave anyway.

I feel so - so....so...I don't know what the word is that I want. So pissed about everything. I am irritated with my cough. I despise cough medicine. I am irritated with my co-worker. My daughter is mouthy. She took pre-algebra this year. She is getting B's. She rarely studies. She refuses to take algebra I next year. She is taking General Math. What?! The pre-algebra teacher is teasing her. I just found this out tonight. All my math teachers did this to me, too. We just didn't get math. I lean more towards art, poetry, writing, singing, spelling, and I always liked science. I bit my tongue so many times trying not to tell my daughter that I HATED math so she wouldn't get the wrong impression.

But, I do. I hate it. I hated all my math teachers. If you are a math teacher reading this, do the world a favor. Don't pick on students. You always call on the ones who you know don't have the answer or have the correct answer. We just don't get it! And, this may come as a big surprise to you, but we don't want to get it, either!

And, here's a newsflash! You DO NOT have to be good in math to work with computers. There is plenty, plenty, plenty of computer work to do that does not require the logical side of the brain. Nah, nah, nah, nah nah! Not all computer work involves programming. Most everything is so automated anymore, you don't need those math skills.

Oh, I am just rambling. My daughter just told me at dinner tonight that the pre-algebra teacher always teases her about not speaking loudly enough. She is afraid (as I was) to say the wrong answer. My math teachers would make such an ordeal out of my wrong answers. It was torture! I swear they actually liked to see us squirm. I am afraid my daughter is going through the same ordeal. I don't know if my math teacher liked me (like some boys will tease girls in a mean way, when actually they like them), or whether he really hated me.

I only know that I was thirteen years old. I did not get math. I still don't and now my daughter is going through the exact same dilemma that I did. My sentiment was "just give me the test, I will pass or fail, and then let me the hell out of this class so I can get on with my life!"

I want to take all the math teachers into a room and make them draw a portrait. Then, I want to hold it up for all the class to see and everyone laugh at it. Ha, ha, ha, ha! What is this? A nose? Now, can someone show me what a real nose is supposed to look like? Someone who actually gets art?! Screw it!

Oh, bother. Pooh!

No comments: