Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Happy 18th Birthday


My niece turns 18 today. I obtained legal custody of her on January 28th, 2002. She has been with us for three years. I was the first family to see her after she was born. It was instant recognition. It was kind of a jolt that I wasn't expecting when I looked at her as they wheeled her past me. My sister came to stay with me in Chesapeake, Virginia as she and her husband were going through a divorce.

February 22, 1987. Some dates you just never forget. Eighteen years. Eighteen long years. Another lifetime ago for me. Another state, another job, another boyfriend, other co-workers, other neighbors. I spent most of those days as the monkey in the middle between my sister and boyfriend. They didn't get along. Ah, life. Sometimes I drove home from work, wanting to go anywhere but home. My sister vied for my attention and my boyfriend would get angry - go out and get drunk. I am pretty sure my sister did this on purpose. Live and learn.

So, I call up my doctor's office today and tell them I have this lingering cough that won't go away. I had the flu/cold about two weeks ago and all symptoms are gone except this nasty cough. They said to come in at 4:30. I did. My doctor listened and then said one simple word. One I would have never thought of because I am unfamiliar with it. Now, I have been suffering from migraines, acid reflux, indigestion, heartburn, headaches, lingering cough, sensitivity to cigarette smoke, sensitivity to perfumes, and I was thinking of allergies. When she said it. One word. And all the pieces seem to be falling into place:

asthma.

Well. She gave me an inhaler for thirty days and some prednisone. I went home and hit the Internet for information. The only exposure I have had to asthma is a couple of school mates had it and I haven't seen them in over twenty-five years. Hmmmm, let's see. Asthma causes :

1. gasping (I have that from the cough)
2. wheezing (I don't think I have that)
3. chest tightness (I have that and attributed it to heartburn)
4. headaches (oh, Lord yes, I have those)
5. waking up three times or more during the night (have always done that)
6. fatigue (yawn)

Attacks can be triggered by perfume, animal dander, dust, cigarette smoke, cold air, laughing, talking, over exertion, too much heat. This is interesting. I always tried to walk my dog, for health reasons and it is supposed to give you more energy. I was always too embarrassed to tell my doctor that walking made me feel like hell. I thought I was being a sissy. Well, one of the problems with asthma is that walking can irritate the bronchial tubes and makes breathing more difficult. Especially in this cold winter air. And, if anyone has read my blog longer than two weeks you probably know that I despise cigarette smoke and strong perfumes.

Though I don't want to have asthma, it would be some sort of relief if medicine for that ailment will help me with my migraines and the tightness I have been having in my chest. And the gasping/coughing, and the waking up during the night. Oh yes, I hope I can start spelling relief.

No comments: