Sunday, April 12, 2026

Does it happen to you, too?

 


You find that perfect product.  You get used to it.  They stop making it.  This has happened in make up so often for me.  It also happens at fast food places.  They will have a sandwich I love and before I know it, sorry, we don't make that any longer.  Grr...

Ugh. I just checked the weather map.  ventura.com  I chose the Air pressure. Yuck.  My state is solid red/orange.  My headache just came on the past hour.  30.4 inHg.  I'd read up on it but my head hurts too much to think.  Two ibuprofen down the hatch.  After years of suffering, it is so nice to have two tablets take my pain away.  I used to take up to four at a time and still the pain persisted.  I understand the rebound headaches and I'm not ruling that out; that condition may have been part of it.

Drink more water.  I drink two cups of coffee in the morning and water the rest of the day.  I do not recall the last time I had soda pop, iced tea, kool-aid, juice etc...  I drink water all day long.  Have for years.

A couple of years back I had a restaurant charge our table .50 cents for water.  It wasn't bottled water. Not that I am aware of.  It was during the time restaurants began charging those extra service fees.  Saying it was for administration fees,  help waitresses pay for health insurance,  cost of menu update fees, take your pick.  I make sure I always have cash with me as they charge 3 - 5% for using plastic.  Even using my bank card as a debit purchase, they charge.  I smile and pay cash.  

Re-reading an oldie but a goodie.  Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh.  My Mom and I watched the 1981 version of the series.  Before we had cable TV and we only had 2 channels plus PBS.  We started watching it because the English scenery was so beautiful. I learned a lot during that time with my Mom.  She explained to me several things about the English customs.  I was 21.  She never left the house but she read a lot.  Well, she would leave about once a week when somebody took her grocery shopping and if it was summertime to any yard/garage sales.  She did go on a trip/vacation once in a while when somebody offered to take her.  I just fell in love with Jeremy Irons.

Oh, speaking of JI.  I watched The Lion King 1994 version.  I don't think I've watched that movie in 30 years.  JI provides the voice for Scar.  And that Nathan Lane.  Loved him in The Birdcage.  I am also reading The House of My Mother by Shari Franke.  A memoir about a girl raised in a strict LDS home where her Mother posted her children's lives as they were growing up on Youtube and how it affected her.

I was brought up in Ohio and went to Sunday School/Church in a Methodist church.  I went to school with a lot of Catholics.  I worked with some folks whose faith was Judaism.  When I moved to Virginia it was the Southern Baptist.  Women were not permitted to wear pants. (Some followed this religion.)  I never thought to ask if men could wear dresses.  I guess it never occurred to me that some men DID indeed wear dresses.  Sister 1944 and I joined a genealogy group run by a lady brought up as LDS (Latter Day Saints).  My sister became Treasurer and I stopped going (too far to drive after I hit a deer on the way to a meeting) and she had a lot of stories to tell me about that lady.  Hmmm...what other religions have I run across...I think that may be all.  I've known people who attend Church of the Nazarene, oh ...I had a good friend in school who was Russian Orthodox.  In my area it did not matter what religion you were.  I think up until fifth grade we said the Pledge of Allegiance before school began.  I don't recall saying it after that. I do not recall ever praying in school.  Well, maybe to myself before a test, but not as a group.  I stand when I sing the National Anthem.  

What an awful mess things are in the world.  Maybe it was a mess back then too, I was just too young to be aware of it.  My Mom didn't vote because she said "they were ALL crooks."  I do try hard not to say off-color jokes (we used to just let them fly back then, picking on all religions, races and hair color).  My jokes were in jest, I never meant any harm.  I like everybody until they give me a reason not to.

1 comment:

messymimi said...

Your last line, yes. Even then, I pray for them. We all told the jokes. Everyone got picked on and we all knew it was a silly joke.

I think it was Charlton Heston who said political correctness is tyrranny with manners.

Yes, as soon as you find a great product that works, they quit making it. Frustrates me every time.