Sunday, January 18, 2026

Dog License

 

Time to renew our dog licenses.  We have 3 dogs, now.  Last year we had 4.  My cat thinks he is a dog but he doesn't need a license for that.  I order mine online and get them through the mail.

We make sure all dogs have a collar and their license is attached to it.  Years ago I was negligent. I would get the proper licenses for my dogs but I never  had them wear a collar.  Our two best dogs (Cheech and Chong) rarely left the yard.  The boxer I had left the yard about once or twice  a year and he would get picked up.  One time the police brought him home.  I can't remember the details but the dog catcher had picked him up and when I called they just had a policeman drop him off or the police had picked him up and brought him home.  Isn't it weird how we can't remember details sometimes?

Our boxer for some reason would end up at the Enterprise rental car location. Or he did a couple of times. I had him 10 years.  It was very negligent and I struggle with the fact I should have known better.

Two dogs need to be on a tie/cable when we let them out and one (my daughter's raised from a pup) is such a good dog she always stays in the yard.  When I let her out, I put her on the cable/tie.  I'm not taking any chances.  She isn't my dog. 

I've spent  hundreds in dog licenses over the years.  Glad I don't have to pay for cats.  I need to make an appointment for Moses (cat) to get a booster shot.  I will call tomorrow. I don't think the vet is closed on MLK day. 

We also get a rabies shot and a tag every year for them.  Along with all the normal vaccinations, kennel cough and tick/flea medicine.  It adds up. Currently my older dog has teeth issues and it costs about $400 to have them remove a tooth.  I no sooner get him home and bam - the rotten smell is back and I need to call again.  This time I'm going to tell her - take them all.  I'm tired of this.  I did not have this dog as a young puppy.  I only got him about 4 years ago and he was gray muzzled even then.  He is showing signs of pain and trouble walking in his back legs.  I'll see what the doctor suggests about that.  Most of the time it's not fixable, or if it is - there is no guarantee.  It can cost thousands.

The last time when the boxer passed and I had no pets, I was able to go four months before I broke down and rescued a dog I saw on Facebook.  Sigh.  I hope this time I can hold out after poor Milton passes.  I'll still have my cat I suppose.  He is only 8 years old.  I want the freedom of not having to worry about letting the dog out and feeding him.  A cat can go longer but I don't want to leave him alone. Currently my daughter and her husband live with me, but they plan to move out of state at some point.  They hate the winter. I don't blame them. But, from what I am reading, we all need to just wait a few years and we will have Florida weather up here in the northern US states if Climate Change keeps happening.

2 comments:

messymimi said...

It's very expensive to have pets. We have to get the rabies shot/tag/license for our cats, too. It's not very much, it's all the other charges that add up.

Peruby said...

We don't have to get a license for cats. My cat is due for his rabies and 2 other shots. We got in Monday.