Saturday, October 11, 2025

Reading, reading, reading


 It is not very often that I find a book I like that has been recommended by the magazines I read.  I don't recall what magazine suggested this book "The Witch's Orchard" by Archer Sullivan but I like the book and can't stop reading it.  Then I had to research Archer Sullivan.  Is that a man or a woman?  It's a woman. I figured.  The book's main character is a woman.  

Of course I also read online - news stories.  I was reading one about how several of the world's billionaires are building doomsday bunkers.  It's the new thing I guess.  And for some odd reason - in New Zealand?  Not any that I know.  I think Bezos picked Hawaii and Zuckerberg picked Texas.  idk. Sometimes my memory is not accurate.  Anyway, I read further and it quoted a "former" body guard of a billionaire. He said that he and the other body guards had an agreement.  If something happened where they needed to take their boss (a billionaire) to the bunker that they would do away with him and live in the bunker themselves.  Huh.  I guess that might explain why he is a "former".

The reason for the article was AI.  I guess a lot of 'people in the know' feel that AI is going to ruin society or the world as we know it.  Well, I don't think there is much we can do at this point.  Unless I become a bodyguard for a millionaire I don't think I can do much.  At this point in my life, I'm not sure if it would be easier for me to be the bodyguard or the billionaire.  I'm fairly certain I don't need to ponder any more on it (as in it ain't gonna happen).  Me becoming a bodyguard or billionaire, that is.  The AI doomsday - now that one could happen.

Another AI article I was reading gave me a chuckle.  They are creating laws (somebody somewhere, I don't recall) where you will not be able to leave your money/estate/property to AI after you pass away.  I laugh.  Years ago I read where a man in India legally married his dog.  Sometimes, I tell you. What next?  

I don't read the NYTimes but I read an article that named that magazine as the source of this item:

 YouTube agreed to pay a $24.5 million settlement to President Trump and others who were suspended by the video streaming platform in the wake of the Jan 6th 2021 riot. The bulk of the settlement - $22 million - will go to Trump.


1 comment:

messymimi said...

Sometimes I wonder if we're all just waiting for a crash to take us out.