Monday, December 02, 2013

Somali Piracy

I watched the movie "Captain Phillips".  T Hanks comes through as usual. Wonderful actor, just wonderful. I was crying at the end (or teared up anyway).

Of course I had to research the real story.

Spoiler Alert! Not a lot, but a bit.

Two things. Captain Phillips (to me) neglected to heed the warning of keeping his ship 600 miles from the coast of Somalia. He was 240 miles when they were overtaken by the pirates. All ships were advised to stay 600 miles away. Perhaps the pirate ships were not capable of going that far out to sea. Hence - some crew members are suing.

Second - me thinks that the pirate (Muse) has a much better life in a federal prison in the United States than he would have - had he stayed and lived in Somalia. Photo above is lifted from the Internets - typical family conditions in Somalia.

I guess I'll add another tidbit of information. It appears to have escalated (the piracy) when big tankers dumped waste into the waters killing the fish and the local fishermen had no way to make a living so they turned to piracy. As usual, things got out of hand quickly when greed takes over.

3 comments:

kden said...

After the movie first came out I started hearing about the crew members and unhappy they were; that the Captain was made to look like more of a hero than he really was. I'd still like to see it sometime but will probably wait until Redbox.

messymimi said...

As with poaching in Africa the solution has to be two-fold. You can't just stop the illegal activity, you have to give these people something to do that can make them and their families a living.

Tabor said...

Extreme poverty creates extreme crime. This is just one small story, I think, as the world uses up its resources and the poverty of people increases. I have a pessimistic view of our future as long as we allow the very rich to store up money and not re-invest in humanity.