Monday, January 09, 2012

Where did she go?

There once was a lady who wrapped gifts like this. Where did she go?

Some big discussions in technology in educ@tion today. BY0T (Bring your 0wn technology). Symbols placed on purpose to thwart search engines. Do you have children/grandchildren in sch00l? Almost every child over the age of fourteen (perhaps younger) has a cellular phone. Most have a "smart" phone.

It is true that the sch00l network can block them from access, but most have G3/G4 for connecting. What do you do then? Most of us know that we do not need wireless to gain access to e-mail with our phones. How do tea@chers handle this in the cl@ssr00m? It is kind of a mixed bag right now. You have some who sit back and say "I don't worry about it. They signed an AUP (acceptable user p0licy)."  Does that really cover it, though? Others are fraught with worry. Some are creating an entirely new AUP just to cover the new technology.

Then there are devices such as my n00k. It is small enough (even with the case) to fit in my purse. Most of the schools are issuing netb00ks to $tudents to use. Much cheaper than iPads.

And why does my manager keep posting his "cel phone" number when he is out of the office? It is not a celluloid device. It is a cellular device! Cel is a short name for celluloid. Sigh. Oh, dear. I think I am getting cranky. Time to find my pillow.

Wait! I watched War Horse. Very good. My daughter watched it with me, she said the book went into much more detail and emotions that were not captured in the film.  Did you like the book/movie Black Beauty? The book War Horse is told from the point of view of the horse. (Not certain the entire book is, though). I liked the movie. I did not need tissues.

3 comments:

Tabor said...

I liked the movie very much. I found it interesting that Spielberg filmed with the style (colors and framing) of a 1940s color movie. It had that Gone with the Wind feel. I find it very hard to watch animal movies thought because any suffering they endure just breaks my heart. Changes in technology make me happy I am no longer responsible for children!!!

kden said...

I'm like Tabor and find it hard to watch movies about any kind of animal abuse or suffering. But I really liked this movie and can't imagine more detail, as in the book.

Cheyenne said...

You ask "Where did she go?" Like my mother always used to say, "She went down the street on a bicycle." That was her answer to a lot of our questions. I can still hear her saying it.