I use Secret deodorant in the "Spring Breeze" scent. I hope I can still use it after I have watched the movie "Sarah's Key." The young girl in the film (Sarah) kept hold of this key during the round-up because she needed desperately to get back to her home in Paris and retrieve what she had left locked in a hidden closet there.
I am thinking the smell of the breeze was not so great after the French police round-up of 1942 (code named Operation Spring Breeze) imprisoned several hundred thousand victims in that arena with no fresh air. It had a glass top for crying out loud. It was July. They kept them there for five days before moving them on to internment (concentration) camps.
The United States had internment (or rather, an early form of concentration) camps. Can you figure out when? There was a round up of victims in the U.S. long before Europe decided to "reduce the Jewish population".
In a few days I will come back to the comments and let you know when the U.S. had this type of camp and what it was in the closet that Sarah so desperately needed to get back to. If you already know the answers, go ahead and post them in the comments. I won't mind a bit.
In a few days I will come back to the comments and let you know when the U.S. had this type of camp and what it was in the closet that Sarah so desperately needed to get back to. If you already know the answers, go ahead and post them in the comments. I won't mind a bit.

5 comments:
I do not know about Sarah but I am assuming you are talking about the internment camps in the Western U.S. for the Japanese that lived in our country during the war after the bombing of Pearl Harbor?
There were camps for the Germans too. They were located in farm country and I believe that the detainees could work on the farms.
The Nazis opened Dachau in 1933; I don't think the U.S. had any internment camps predating that.
I am learning so much from you guys. I had no idea about the Japanese concentration camps or German.
Wow. Originally I was referring to the Native American people. This link shows many episodes throughout U.S. history:
http://www.issuesandalibis.org/campsa.html
As for "Sarah's Key" - she locked her little brother in the hidden closet in the wall.
At first the police were only taking males of the Jewish people. The father was not at home, so the girl hid her brother in the wall with a pitcher of water and promised him she would return for him. She took the key.
This time the police took her and the mother, and grabbed the father who was just coming home. They did not have time to retrieve the little boy.
The book may give us a better timeline but according to the movie, I would have to say about a week went by before she could get back to him.
Post a Comment