Sunday, December 04, 2011

Family history

My Mom told me about her grandmother being bed-ridden for the last 7 years of her life suffering from arthritis with bottles of FourRoses as her pain reliever.

My mom herself complained quite often about pain in the sacroiliac joint areaHer pain reliever was a single dose of Bayer aspirin. I have started to feel a similar pain with this area for a little over  a year, now.

As I was walking the dogs this morning I thought that perhaps with them fusing the "leak" in my finger joint; all the problem may be causing a back up in the rest of my body because nearly every joint hurt this morning. I am not getting better. I will have to see my doctor and I do not want to. I don't want to run around and have this test and that test just to hear them tell me that "You have to live with it"  or   "You will need an operation"..   I do not want an operation nor do I want to live with the pain.

I cannot function like this, that is for certain.

I tried a heating pad first. On my right wrist because that is my main "mouse" user. I do not believe it is carpal tunnel because I have no numbness or tingling. Just pain. Stiff pain. After an hour I broke down and gulped down some Advil.

I cannot lift my coffee cup with one hand. I cannot open jars. I am  having trouble locking the door. I am  having trouble turning the ignition key in the car. I am having a lot of trouble getting up and walking. It could all be a phase.

You know. Like some people have a bad month or a bad year. I wait as long as I can stand it before seeing the doctor because you know what happens. The day you go to see the doctor  you are not in any pain and it is hard to make them believe that you are for real.

Oh, well. I am reading and thinking. I feel that the recent "flare up" is related to poor diet right now. I have not felt well enough to do any "proper" grocery shopping. I have been scraping by on simple stuff that is not good for me. I am going to try to rectify that. If I can just find the energy to get washed up, get to the grocery store and then come back home and fix the food. When it is so much easier to keep popping Advil, sitting with my heating pad and eating toast. Boo! Epic fail.

7 comments:

Tabor said...

So sorry. Just to let you know that pain can cause you to sink into a nasty depression...so fight that. Perhaps heat and cold might work. How about gentle stretching exercises and also taking glucosamine combo? Hope this does not last long!!

Richard said...

So sorry for all your pain and discomfort.

Maybe it's time to think out of the box. Have you tried Chicken Noodle Soup? No, no, not to eat but to soak your wrist in. They say that Chicken Noodle soup cures everything.

kden said...

I can SO relate to what you're talking about. My post this morning is somewhat similar. My doctor experiences have always been disappointing and in general I don't trust them.

Tabor kind of hit on something; that pain can cause depression, which in turn causes more pain. Try to take care of yourself as a whole and not focus so much on one pain. Plus, sitting more will automatically make the body feel stiff and sore. And if it's cold out, Holy Cow, that doesn't help either! Try to keep moving, even when you don't feel like it. When you do go to a doctor, you will want to be there with a better frame of mind to deal with whatever they tell you.

Praying for better, pain free days.

Grumpy said...

See the doctor. None of us wants to go to the doctor, but sometimes there is no other answer. You need a long term solution, and it's not Advil.

Peruby said...

Thanks to everybody but it was cathartic just posting the ordeal. As soon as I pushed post, I got a shower, fixed myself up and went grocery shopping.

I came home, fixed a good meal, cleaned the kitchen and then I relaxed.

I took the dogs on a long walk (only my right knee hurt and that was only at the beginning) and I may be starting to pull myself out of this funk.

And Richard - too funny! My cans of chicken noodle soup are still safely sitting in my kitchen cupboards. LOL!

kden said...

Glad to hear it! Hope I didn't come off as too preachy; just looking out for a fellow blogger.

Peruby said...

kden - not at all. No worries. Everything all of you said is true and great advice.

Except I am still skeptical about the chicken soup. :)