Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Split like the Great Continental Divide

This photo is one of a dental tool used in the past. I am not so certain today's tools are all that different.

I lost a filling or part of a filling Saturday night leaving a huge hole in my top left molar.  Not unusual really for work that was performed in 1970 or so. I waited for the pain but none came. I cautiously drank my coffee the next morning. No pain. I ate breakfast. The hole filled with food but no pain. I brushed immediately afterwards until I could feel that empty abyss. I made an appointment with my dentist as soon as I could.

The tooth has to come out. It split in two. How I wish the dentist could have seen that when I first began having this issue in August. It would all be over with by now. I was NOT in pain. I chose to remove it in January. He was busy and I certainly did not want to spend the day with a bleeding socket when I have so much to do.

The assistant quipped "Remember the holidays are coming up".  Like I can forget that? What do I look like? I know she meant that they will be closed. The dentist wrote me a prescription for an antibiotic just in case it gets infected.

I can still remember my older sister driving all of us kids to the dentist during my childhood. I am not certain of the specifics (perhaps I will ask her) but I do know this was a welfare case and I am not even sure I was told to brush my teeth when I was little. I must have had ten fillings over those couple of  years. I recall how I dreaded the visits. I hated the Novocaine shot so much, when the dentist said he could fill my teeth with out numbing the gum, I chose that path. Only one time did he hit a nerve and I was not numb. I jumped almost out of the chair and he had another dentist with him. I can remember them laughing (with relief). Water went everywhere. The dental care stopped after a couple of years. I am not certain as to why.

To say I was traumatized is an understatement. I did not return to a dentist until I was nineteen and had to have my wisdom teeth pulled. Dental care was sketchy after that (only when in pain did I go). Until I finally reached this last job that pays for dental insurance and I am finally tethered to one area for more than a couple of years. Care has been nonstop for over 15 years, now. My daughter has had care all her life.
I am luckier than my siblings. Since I am the youngest my dental care started much earlier than theirs. All but two of us have partials or full dentures. Sister 1954 and I.

2 comments:

kden said...

My mom recalls that she never brushed her teeth until she started school. Can you imagine waiting that long? No wonder she has full dentures now. Our care wasn't much better as kids. Probably didn't brush much either, I have a mouth full of fillings and don't especially like going to the dentist.

Glad you're not in pain though and hope your next visit goes well.

Cheyenne said...

I have been going to a dentist since I was three. Somehow I managed to keep going every year after I left home and never thought about it.
It's funny when a filling falls out how big that hole really feels when it's not that big at all.