Wednesday, November 02, 2011

In costume... or not?

Last week a few of us had to work after hours to complete a job at a school. It just so happened to coincide with their Fall Festival (a.k.a. Halloween party). Schools are not allowed (or permitted) to use the word Halloween because of it's satanic theme. I am assuming that is the reason why. Or perhaps it is because if draws attention to a certain religion (Satanism) and schools are not permitted to celebrate events. If they have a Halloween celebration then they will have to plan a Christian celebration (what the heck is the Christmas party/concert?) Anyway....

My co-workers and I had been at it for a solid four hours and were a bit slap happy if you know what I mean. As usual nothing was working correctly and we were struggling to figure out what we could do to make it right. I was on the telephone (so I was spared) when a very (and I mean very) young fellow in a cop uniform walked into the office. A few remarks were made about the Fall Festival and his "costume".  The guy co-worker that was with us suddenly became quiet. The young fellow in the cop uniform said something but I didn't catch it. My female co-worker (it was her school) answered him and he left. It was about this same time I was finished with my phone call and she was laughing. I looked at them and said "What? Was he a REAL cop?"  She managed to squeak out a "Yes." The guy said "I thought he was a kid dressed up as a cop until I saw his gun."

Note to all Police Departments. Don't send the youngest on your force to Halloween events. Nobody would take him seriously. It didn't even look like he was shaving, yet - I swear! And, for the record - I doubt that I would recognize a real gun if I saw it. I am happy to report that my eyes did not get down that far. My Mama raised me right! He was just a boy, after all! But he was dead serious. There was no mistaking that look on his face. This young fellow meant business. I think he is going to make a fine officer of the law.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A boy cop playing real cops and robbers. That do sound like a real Halloween story.

kden said...

That's a good one. My daughter (in high school) told me that one of her teachers from last year dressed as a mailman and had all the exact garb. That's why she didn't know it was him and was wondering why her friend was talking to the mailman, ha.

Grumpy said...

I've noticed the cops looking younger; have you considered that it may be a function of you getting older?