Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Lit tree

Only the lights. Still. Nothing else. I have been giving it water like crazy. The kids are responsible for decorations this year. Sigh. I like how this cell phone feature "Polaroid" makes the photo look 30 years old. I think my camera is in the trunk of my car. I took pictures at our big family dinner on the 11th, and have pictures but have forgotten to get the camera out each time. Wait. I unloaded groceries on Sunday. I would have picked up the camera if it were in the trunk. Then, where is it? Aw, jeez. Now I have to go look for it.

I have the week off from work for vacation. There are about 3 problems that I am still trying to take care of remotely from home. They concern the filter. I may try one more thing and then let everything go until I return to the office on the 20th.

The filter may die by then.

Do you have children in school? If you did,  how would you feel about their Internet usage and the filter? Would you be upset if they could play games or access facebook in the classroom? How about reading/writing blogs while in the classroom?  Porn is easy. It is blocked with NO exceptions. Proxies are blocked with NO exceptions. 

Youtube, facebook, games, shopping, gambling - a lot of other categories are left up to the district. The thorn in my side (this month) is a middle school has three games housed on their web page. We are required to categorize all our school web pages as "education" and all my districts allow this category to pass. If they did not, it would be kind of difficult for them. But, this lets those 3 games show up under the category "education" and all the schools in my organization's network can access the 3 games. I have only one district complaining (but they are relentless). I am working with my filter company (they are located on the west coast and I am on the east) but their resolution has not worked. I may have misunderstood and set it up incorrectly.

I have never heard of a parent wanting a list of blocked categories for their district. I have wanted to go to districts and hold a meeting with the parents to explain how the filter works in the districts but I wonder if any parent is even interested. 

Do they think that this technology is without errors?

3 comments:

Tabor said...

I agree with using the filter. If a parent does not want their child to have it, they can certainly speak up. Perhaps certain lessons or classes would be filter-less if it inhibited the subject or learning.

Dog Hair in my Coffee said...

I do NOT want kids in my district, my own, or anyone else's in my classroom, being able to access facebook, youtube, games, etc. They complain nonstop every time something they've "discovered" is then blocked the next day, but I feel like, "oh well, kiddo. School, and it's computers, are for EDUCATION. Remember THAT thing?" Play games at home, not on my teaching time. Oh, BUT? I'd really like it if I could access Facebook during the day... tho it's probably a good thing I can't, or I'd be even FARTHER behind!

Kerry said...

We have some real tough filters at the middle school where I work. And they are getting tougher. Next month I don't know if I will be able to access Google Images, which I can now get to by bypassing the filter with a password; as a staff member who teaches art I do hope they still allow me to get to this valuable resource.
Kids' access needs to be restricted. They can do their social networking on their own time. Why does the middle school that you mention have games on its website if they aren't educational? Very strange.