The pups are the only pics I have without accessing the external backup hard drive that I have. Horror of horrors my PC may have died. I am using a backup machine that work gave me, I don't think it has a working cooling fan. It is so quiet, I do not hear any fan running. Whatever.
Saturday morning I decided it would be a good time to call Norton AV and work with a tech on why my live updates were not working. It took an hour and they were swift, they were great and they got things fixed, gave me a free update to 2010 and an extra 30 days on the subscription. I shut my machine down Saturday night before retiring.
I got up this morning and Windows won't boot up. (Silent scream). What? I do not have an XP recovery disk. Heaven only knows what the heck happened to it. I probably didn't have one shipped with the system but that is unlike me.
I worked with it for a while and then pulled out the spare machine I am working on now. I only had one folder of pictures on it. It was the pups in August of 2009. Sigh. Maybe there were many signs. The one hard drive failing, Norton AV live update not completing. I don't know. Coincidence all? Maybe.
Time to bite the bullet and purchase Windows 7 and install it? Harrumph!
Classic.
In case this ever comes up in Trivial Pursuit, the woman who plays Ben's mother is the same lady who plays Roz in "Nine to Five".
Time to bite the bullet and purchase Windows 7 and install it? Harrumph!
The kids ordered "Couples Retreat" on pay per view. It has some funny parts in it. I got a better laugh from watching "The Graduate". I had not seen it in years. My favorites were when Benjamin was attempting to get a room and the hotel check-in attendant rang the bell, then Benjamin put his hand over the bell, and the attendant hit his hand. That brought a chuckle and the next part was when Benjamin told his parents he was going to Berkeley to ask Elaine to marry him and he storms out the door, and as they stand there with bewildered looks on their faces the toast pops up in the toaster and they look at it like "What the heck?"
Classic.
In case this ever comes up in Trivial Pursuit, the woman who plays Ben's mother is the same lady who plays Roz in "Nine to Five".
I have tomorrow off from work. Will I work on my seven year old machine some more? Probably. I may be playing taps by the end of the day. I think my last backup was about a month or so ago. So any pictures or files I have saved since then are "poof" - gone. Wah.

3 comments:
My XP came with the recovery disk built in. To restore all I have to do is hold down Cntl and tap F-11 at log-in.
Richard, I will certainly try this maneuver next time I boot my machine.
Sadly, it didn't work. :( But,thanks for the tip!
Post a Comment