Monday, February 01, 2010

Does this example, help?

I have 2 Hard Disk Drives in my computer. We will call one of them “A” and one of them “B” for this example.

RAID 1. If I write the word “example” and save it to Hard Disk Drive “A”, my computer automatically writes the exact same word “example” to my Hard Disk Drive “B” in the exact same place.

The same example applies if I save a picture to my hard drive. The exact same file is saved to disk B, making me a perfect copy of my entire hard drive. Most would say this is overkill.

It “Mirrors” everything I put on “A” to “B” so that if “A” would ever die or fail, “B” just picks up and I can keep on working with just a short pause or two in my computer. (I did see the pausing on Saturday while I was working on the computer).

In my case, “B” failed, so A is still working and running along. If I want that "safety net" of an exact copy of everything on my original (A) hard disk, I will need to replace B.

4 comments:

Tabor said...

Get it. Always wondered what RAID meant but hadn't heard that word since work.

Grumpy said...

Ok, that helps, but is your second hard drive external. If not, where do you get a computer with 2 hard drives?

Cheyenne said...

Makes sense to me.

Peruby said...

Tabor - I use RAID 1, there are other options that use hard disk space a little more efficiently.
A good article on RAID: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

Grumpy - that's the way they sold the XPS back in 2003. I believe it was a capacity restriction back then. I can even insert an EIDE hard drive into my computer.
Here is a good article on hard drives : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_disk_drive

Cheyenne - A little overkill in the copy everything byte for byte, maybe?