It took most of the week-end, but I was able to re-install Windows on my "big" computer. I lost the data that was not backed up. (About two weeks worth). I purchased this mammoth in 2003, so there were plenty of updates. I should have purchased Windows 7 instead of re-loading XP, but I didn't feel like it. The refresher course in re-loading the OS was enough for my brain as it is. Most of my programs have been restored. I do take snapshots of my desktop from time to time and I had an image of that to go by. I detailed in my notebook each step that I take for record keeping. We'll see how this goes. I don't have that second hard drive in place yet. The one I purchased just a month ago.
Have a baby shower to prepare for this week-end. That is a nice break from technology. My daughter and I are in charge of the games. We are doing the normal baby-oriented word scramble. We are adding "Guess that celebrity baby" into the mix and the game of "Guess that baby name of the animal".
We also are making a fruit pizza and some little finger foods. I'll take pictures if the food comes out looking decent enough. :D
On a sour note, my nephew called last night to say that my niece (his sister) was robbed yet again. This is the third time in two years. All technology stuff. We are beginning to suspect it to be somebody she knows. This time a window was unlocked that is supposed to be locked. As if somebody unlocked it on purpose when they were visiting. Laptop, ipod, camera, GPS, dvd player. All technology stuff. For the third time! It does not seem to matter if she lives alone or with a group of friends. I'm not positive if she got insurance after the last time. I really wish she would move back to be close to family instead of two to four hours away from all of us.
5 comments:
I notice that you mentioned removing the cover and cleaning your system a little while back. I have animals and my desktop sits on the floor so I am sure it needs a good cleaning. I can figure how to get the cover off, but I don't know whether I should use a vacuum, canned air,or something else. I have heard good and bad on all of it. After 4 decades as a computer professional I am still in the dark about this. I would be interested to hear what you used as I am sure others would be as well. Please consider telling the rest of us.
Goody...now you are giving technology advice. I am glad that you held off on the Windows 7 because it has lots of glitches...It still runs a chkdsk when I have had it off line for a while and I don't remember ever seeing that except years ago.
TC Joan,
Well, I am NO expert (although I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night) - but I use both. I have to admit that as dirty as my computer gets, I tend to use the vacuum more. Why blow that dust into the rest of my house when I can vacuum it up into a bag?
For the tiny, hard to reach places - the canned air with it's little red extension tube works great. I do not like the way the can gets really cold, though.
I also have to admit that I use my canned air more to scoot my critters away. (grimace). One squirt and they usually go running. Then the two pups thought it was a game and started jumping at it and barking. Good grief! I can't win!
TC Joan,
On a side note, make sure you unplug the electrical cable from the computer before opening it. Better safe than sorry. And (of course) always "de-static" yourself by touching something metal before working inside the computer.
Good luck!
Tabor,
chkdsk? Really? Wow, I have not used that in ages, either. Some things just come back around I guess. My nephew thinks I should have gone with 7. I don't know.
Post a Comment