Sunday, August 03, 2008

Jumping Bear


My brother's house and all but 2 of his dogs. I think. The Yorkies start to blur together and I think they have four. Maybe five. Anyway the little chihuahua in there is the "teacup" one they got a couple of years ago. She runs back and forth with Bear (the outside larger dog in the caged run) and they both get their exercise. The Yorkies have sensitive legs and backs and though they run down to say "hello" to Bear, they don't run back and forth along the run with him the way the little chihuahua does.

I like to think they are saying "Hello". It could be something more sinister like, "You're ugly and your mama wears sled dog booties!"

My visit to my brother's house paid off. I got two zucchini, two cucumbers, one yellow squash and five tomatoes. We did not take Sable with us on this trip. I couldn't do that to my brother's dogs or to Sable.

I have not put up my beetle trap yet. I may not. My brother and his wife empty theirs three times a day. They have it in the front yard hanging under a tree yards away from their back yard flowers and plants. They get thousands of beetles in that trap. I should have taken a picture of it. It was half full when I was there. Their roses, hibiscus, beans and cherry trees are still getting eaten alive by the pests. Sigh. It is just that kind of year. Mine are not as bad. My hostas have taken the brunt of it and that may be something entirely different.

We went to see Hancock the other night. I have to say that I was disturbed. Maybe that isn't the word. Uncomfortable. The first part of the movie was fine. Then it changed and I was thinking to myself "No. I do not like the turn (or twist) this movie is going." After I read a few remarks and comments on the movie, a lot of other folk feel the same way. I have questions about the ending also. How will things be in forty years? I don't want to spoil it here. I liked all the characters and even though there may have only been one possible ending, it left a lot of questions.

After reading the summary by Wikipedia it clears up a little bit of what I had missed during the movie. It bothers me though that the mortals in this case will age and she won't. How do they deal with that in 10, 20 and 30 years?

I do like the super hero part. And how they changed him from an S.O.B. to a comical and reluctant super hero. I also like the humorous acting I am seeing from Jason Bateman in various movies I have seen. Charlize looked good in some parts, haggard and drained in other parts.

My daughter and I thought it was just a little too crass to show the prison scene and how Hancock deals with a couple of bully inmates. We got the picture before they showed the result. I did not think there was any call for the continuation of the scene. It reminded me a bit of Bruce Almighty with the monkey scene.

2 comments:

Tabor said...

The roses seems to be the worst for beatle loving. The rest of my flowers seems to be hanging on. I loved the doggy insult!

Peruby said...

I remember my Mom sprinkling Sevin dust on her roses.

One of the worst insults we could throw when we were a kid was 'Your Mama wears combat boots!'