Tuesday, October 16, 2007

A rowdy bunch


Fall crowd at the Fall Festival

We were a rowdy bunch at the bar in the motel room when we went to Wild and Wonderful WV, Friday night. Three sisters, one brother. Two in-laws. Three grandchildren. My daughter is a minor, they didn't say a word to us. The Long Islands kept coming and the laughter kept flowing. The place was hoppin'. Of course my daughter didn't drink alcohol. She had a coke along with my niece and sister-in-law.

We used to try to make it to WV every year. As time went on, the trips became less and less frequent. This year it has been seven years since we had been down. And, the first year without our Mother. Ugh. Out of five that we normally visit, one had passed on and the other has moved to Columbus for an operation. We plan to catch up with her there. It is one of those situations where they don't inform you of what is going on, you have to either call or write. They don't write anymore because their hands shake so much you couldn't read it. No computers, no e-mail.

My eldest brother has given me a new Family Tree file to update my records. I am going to do that as soon as I am finished here. I am anxious to see who he has added. In some circumstances he goes back to the 1600's in New York. I can't even imagine. But, the branches become so entwined and tangled, I can't even comprehend how they know this stuff. He has done an enormous amount of work on the project. In reality our relatives come from many different places. Austria, Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain. Here in the states, New York and Virginia. Surnames include Potts, Williams, Haymond, Conrad, Currence, Friend, Skidmore, Caldwell, Train, Nichols, and Turner. That is just a smidgen of the names. I hope in some small way I am related to J.M.William Turner.

1 comment:

Tabor said...

My daughter is the one who kept up our family tree. Although with two little ones and a demanding job, she has not done much on it recently.