Friday, October 05, 2007

Hologram


Or rather, a volumetric display?
I am sitting here this evening in my nephew's house. I spent all day at the hospital in Columbus. The procedure went well where they examined his heart with a catheter. He is staying overnight because of his reaction to anesthesia. He does not tolerate medicine very well. My sister (his Mom) is staying with him there.
I can't sleep. Mostly because I am in a strange atmosphere. A lot due to the fact that the next step is open heart surgery. The above photo is from my nephew's stash on his home computer. I believe the image is of himself taken with a timer and a tripod.
It fits my gloomy mood of how I don't want to lose one iota, not one pixel of my beloved nephew (who comes very close to being a son to me) and how very vulnerable we are in this life. Reality smacks you in the face with every corner in a children's hospital. Although my nephew is 30 years old, this is where the procedure is taking place. There were little tiny children there. One little girl had a banner on her door that read "Happy 1st Birthday, Hannah!"
For a hospital, it was strange not seeing aged people in the rooms. Just little tykes. It is a bit confusing for me that he be treated at this hospital. I didn't realize that there would be no adult patients. I would like to say that the hospital is fantastic. Top Notch.

4 comments:

Tabor said...

So very sorry Peruby, and I hope that everything goes so well. You have created some very good symbolism with the juxtaposition of the picture and the stress for you and your family. My best thoughts are being sent your way.

Cheyenne said...

With your permission, I will pray for your nephew.

Peruby said...

Tabor- Thank-you very much for your kind words and thoughts. They mean a lot to me.

Peruby said...

Cheyenne - Yes, absolutely you have my permission. Your gesture is very thoughtful and appreciated.