Wednesday, July 15, 2026

A job with USPS (almost)


 Brother 1942 was in the air force and when he finished his tour, started working at the post office.  I applied for a job there in 1983 while I was between jobs.  I studied for the tests (I recall it was addresses and zip codes, etc...) and I believe I did well but I did not get called.

In 1986 I was living in VA Beach. I had a full time job and health benefits.  Things were going well.  My Mom (I think) got word to me that the Post office called and gave me a phone number to call.  They had a part time position (midnights) with no benefits for two years.   I mean the post office was a pretty good place to work (back then).  I was thinking who can wait three years to get called for a part time job with no benefits available for a couple of years?  Not me.  I remained in VA Beach about two more years until my relationship ended and I returned to Ohio and continued working in technology.

I am reading a book by Stephen Starring Grant who delivered mail in his old home town after graduating, earning a degree and working in Europe and big cities in the US.  He grew up in Appalachian Southwest Virginia.  He needed a job.  It didn't pay a lot but did offer benefits and he had a family.  Between brother 1942's stories, sister 1949's stories and this author - I'm kind of glad my opportunity with the USPS did not work out.

1 comment:

messymimi said...

I can see where there would be plusses and minuses to working there. These days I would guess more minuses.