When my daughter was young we made several trips to the Cleveland area. The Art museum and our favorite the History museum. The Cleveland zoo offered a section called The Rainforest. (Doing research for this post, I realized they just closed it and are opening a Primate section).
At the time, I recall seeing a countdown clock (like the ones you would see for how many days, hours minutes left until the year 2000, etc...). It was counting down how many acres or hectares of rainforest were disappearing. I was astounded and it made me nervous. I was ignorant of just how vast and huge the actual size of the rainforest was but it still gave me anxiety.
While perusing the news this morning I came across an article that just made me shake my head. I'm too old to be surprised by this nonsense any longer. Here is a quotation:
"A new four-lane highway cutting through tens of thousands of acres of protected Amazon rainforest is being built for the COP30 climate summit ..."
One family has had their livelihood destroyed by this deforestation. He said "Where will we go?" I'd like to know where humans will go after we have destroyed our earth. How about it Musk? Build us a rainforest on the Moon or Mars? I forget. Which one are you going to colonize?
Now, where is that satire magazine I so enjoy reading?

1 comment:
Much of it is too serious or sad to satirize any longer.
Post a Comment