Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Plowing through the Books

 

 

I cut the cable cord years ago. A few times I found myself just sitting in the chair surfing the channels and like a bumblebee lighting onto a show and staying there until I had enough pollen and then on to the next channel. Things I normally would not choose to watch. Like watching an episode of "Seinfeld" for the umpteenth time. Pausing at documentaries and animal shows.

Now, I browse the Internet. I still watch some TV shows. I just watch them later - long after they have aired. You can do that at cbs.com or abc.com etc...

And, we have Netflix. A family pack. And I have Amazon Prime. Between all of that, I get quite a variety of shows to watch if I choose.

Lately, I've been reading. And reading, and reading. Currently close to finishing "My Husband's Wife" by Jane Corry. My sister (1944) suggested this one. 

Next is "The Vanishing Half" by Brit Bennett. Then one a friend recommended "2 A.M. at the Cat's Pajamas" by Marie-Helen Bertino.

After "No Country for Old Men" I read "Say Nothing" by Brad Parks.

I'm not one to recommend books to read. I have usually discovered that when somebody tells me about a book or movie, for some bizarre reason I end up not enjoying it so much. I don't know why. I don't think I am disappointed or I was expecting too much.

 Although I have to admit one from a long time ago always tickled me. The author Richard Powell makes me laugh.


3 comments:

messymimi said...

Sometimes i feel the same, although i have been pleasantly surprised.

Tabor said...

I find that cable is not giving us any good stuff. I would like to find another way, but none yet.

KGMom said...

I understand not looking for recommendations for books to read from friends. What I do is see what friends are reading (e.g. on Goodreads) and then deciding if I would like the book. My reading tastes are just that--mine.