Tuesday, August 04, 2020

No Country for Old Men - And now the book.





And now, the book.

My goodness. I saw the movie years ago. Before 2012, that is the year I began keeping a record of each movie I watch.  I'm finally getting around to reading the book. I have to say, I like the way it is written. It moves along quickly and keeps me interested.

However, if I had not seen the movie - I would have trouble telling who was what character from the book. It gives their last names and I don't think I knew their names in the movie, except for Llewelyn. Now that I've seen the movie, I can picture each character.

I am going to crack two others this week. I like to go back and forth. When I get bored with one, I read some of the other. I remember my Mom reading four books at a time. She was always reading.  My older sister 1944 suggested "My Husband's Wife" by Jane Corry. I tried to start that one last week, but I was already reading one called "The Dragons, the Giant, the Women-A Memoir" by Wayetu Moore and it had a little girl telling the story and so does My Husband's Wife (starting out anyway) so it got confusing.

The other I may crack open is "Trust No One" by Debra Webb. 

Are you a seasoned e-reader? There are several formats for e-books. epub, mobi, azw and azw3, not to mention pdf and html. I use calibre. It can read all formats. Well, pdf I open in Adobe of course and html in a browser but I don't read many in that format. My fave is epub because that is what I started on with my Nook. I still have the Nook, it just won't hold a charge. I purchased a new cord and same - I can read it if it is plugged in, but what good is that? So, I just read off my computer screen. IBA's have no place in my life. I hate to use the word never, but I can pretty much be certain I won't be using any Apple products. I believe Kindle uses the azw and azw3 format.

There are several others, but not as popular as the top 3. epub, mobi and azw3. And Calibre works on Linux. Every once in a while I'll need a Linux fix. I'll format a laptop in the latest version of Ubuntu and re-learn everything, just to do it. Though mostly a command line prompt, you can use a GUI interface for Linux and browse the Internet.

My niece told me she was bored and got on the Dark Web the other night. I think a lot of people have seen the tv show "Dead to Me" where the main character browses the Dark Web so they "google" how to do it. I did go there back in 2016. I am not sure if there is another way to do it, but I used Tails and Tor. I got it working and I asked my niece if it was still clunky looking. She said yes.

Developers on the Dark Web don't bother with all the bells and whistles and advertising that we see. I wanted to see if I could do it because I was managing the filter for the schools and you know those pesky kids. They are a thousand times smarter than us Boomers and can figure things out lightning fast. When flash drives first came out there was a software techs could use to stop end users from plugging in to the usb ports. Well, it worked by not allowing the device to create a new e drive or f drive or whatever next letter in the alphabet was available. Nowadays - you have to be able to use the usb port for so many things plus a flash drive. What was that program they used? Oh, I can't recall and I found a site with the top ten and none of them ring a bell.






1 comment:

messymimi said...

E-format would be great, and i should do more with my e-reader on my tablet, but i really don't. As much as i like learning new tech sometimes, i also just love being surrounded by books.

It must keep your mind young and sharp to be always having to keep kids safe, especially when there is a dark web in existence. It's of no interest to me, but i can see how you need to keep up and keep ahead in your field.

If all of those brilliant minds trying to do harm would instead put their brains to use solving the world's problems, we might be much better off by now in so many areas.