Friday, December 12, 2014

un-blocked for now


Well, Santa came early this year.

I came home from work on Thursday, having about 20 minutes before my daughter and I (and her beau, who was not working for a change) were to meet my brother and his wife at Red Lobster. (My absolute favorite-ist place ever!).

She was playing her video game and whines "Go get my clothes out of the dryer!"

I told her to "go eff herself" and took the dogs outside. I may not have been that harsh. We lovingly say these things to each other. The words sound harsh, but we joke with them.

I came in. She had not moved. She continued to play her video game and whined "Come on, Mom. Go get my clothes out of the dryer!"

I said "kiss my a..." and used the restroom.

I came out, she whined again. It was weird because her beau was not saying anything. After over a  year with him, I knew that he would either a. Agree with me and tell my daughter to go and get her own clothes or b. would run down and get them for her.

He wasn't saying a word.

Still. I remained vigilant. "No!"  I said.

She came up behind me and gritted her teeth "You HAVE to go downstairs and get my clothes out of the dryer."

The request (demand?) had more emphasis on the "go downstairs" instead of "get my clothes" and it finally dawned on me.

I was given a hint that this gift was coming, so I realized what was going on by now.

I said  "Oh! Okay. I'll go downstairs."  And I giggled and skipped down the basement steps. I knew, I knew... I was clapping my hands.

I was ecstatic! I loved them.

My daughter and her boyfriend were laughing. My daughter had intentionally provoked me trying to get me to get angry, stomp down to get her clothes and then see the new set.

But, I wasn't angry. I was just "I gave you an hour's notice to get ready, you are sitting there playing a video game - I am NOT getting your clothes out of the dryer for you. Kiss My Astronomical behind."

I was a few minutes late meeting my brother and sister-in-law, but I had pictures to show them.

The only problem is - now, when do I read? That was my reading time. While baby-sitting the washing machine (needed to catch the machine when it began filling with water for the rinse cycle and hold the tub back, so the water did not go behind and run out into the floor) I would read my Nook.

The other reason that facilitated this purchase was the fact that my daughter's beau works in the fracking industry and his clothes are fire retardant and very heavy and very dirty. They made certain to get a stainless steel tub (my other was white).

Now, my daughter said I probably won't ever know how to use it because she will be washing all the clothes, now.

Yeah. Let's see how long THAT lasts.

I have lots of good/funny "searches" to share with you. They will be coming up. These kids search for the funniest things!

6 comments:

messymimi said...

Hooray! Happy Christmas! Enjoy!

Tabor said...

Brave of you to admit he works in the fracking industry where in my state that is a very dirty world...and the fact that his clothes are so dirty supports that. Oh well, the road to hell...sorry. I do think both he and your daughter are wonderful people to have gotten you such a magnificent gift and I guess you will certainly find time to read.

Arkansas Patti said...

That is a great present. Now don't ya feel bad tormenting your daughter? Too funny.

bill said...

Back in the day, my wife used soda ash to get my fracking clothes clean. They'd get greasy, sometime oil soaked. Good you're on the receiving end occasionally.

kden said...

How beautiful! I've never had a new w/d set. Ours are usually bought used, one at a time when they break down. Maybe some day.......

Celia said...

Wow, what a cool gift. Good for them and good for you. Funny how our day to day communications with our families looks worse in print, ha, ha.