Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Pray for Turtles...

....everywhere!

As most of you know, I manage a filter for a group of schools in my area. This filter has an option to run a report for any end user(s) looking up anything suspicious. P0rn is depicted on the list, as is suicide, fear of pregnancy, abuse and bomb making. Things of this nature that you may want to monitor in an educational setting.

As I go through my "daily suspicious search" list of phrases and words that are picked up by the filter that denote an end user attempting to search for p0rn or violence, yes - I am getting desensitized. I figured that would happen. I scroll through lines and lines of searches for various body parts and functions. Same thing every single day. Along with every single day somebody searches for "Dick's Sporting Goods" and "To Kill a Mockingbird".  Every single day.

Once in a while a new one will catch my eye.

This one did.

"Will makeup kill a turtle?"

Whoa. I asked myself "Who would put makeup on a poor, defenseless turtle?"  Visions of mean older/younger brothers popped into my head. They are out there, you know.

Later in the day it occurred to me. Well, maybe they meant that the turtle got into her makeup and ate some of it.

Either way, I hope the turtle survived. We may never know.

4 comments:

kden said...

You may be getting desensitized but your job is never boring :)

Tabor said...

What a difficult job. Trying to keep kids away from stuff like this, makes me worry about my grand-children. I know the day will come when their precious innocence is lost, but I dread it.

messymimi said...

Tabor is right, it's so difficult to keep the kids off of stuff like this. Yes, i hope the poor turtle wasn't hurt. Maybe they were wondering if they could mark a turtle they caught with nail polish or something, so they'd know it again if they saw it.

Celia said...

Poor turtle, it's a good thing that you do however. I used to get security reports before I retired and before we got a good at screening they were a nightmare. Thanks for watching out for our kids.