Saturday, September 13, 2014
Does anybody know.....
...Philipp Meyer? If you do, would you call him and tell him he forgot to finish writing his book? Few things irritate me more than a book that just stops. This one tops them all. It left you the same place you were at the beginning.
At least with a movie, usually you are watching it with somebody else and you can both look at each other and go "WTF?" "Tell me that movie did not just end like that?!"
But with a book, it is only you. "American Rust".
And, with a book - you can toss it across the room. "Damn it!" and there it goes flying across the room and the cats run and the dogs duck. It hits the wall or the couch and falls to the floor, probably bending backwards and it will lay there and you might kick it a couple of times as you walk past it.
But, a Nook? Sigh. I do have it in a nice padded nylon zipped protection cover, but I really don't dare throw it across the room. Not that I didn't want to.
I'd rather slap Phil up the side of his bald head and say "Finish the damn book! Don't leave us guess as to what happens to the characters!" Hell, if that is the case, I'll write the damn book next time.
Sheesh!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
John Grisham does that, too. He never did finish his first book, and I almost gave up on him. He's a bit better, now, but he still hasn't really learned that it takes more than a period to end a book.
And, did you see the last episode of The Sopranos? What is wrong with writers these days? If the writer can't decide whether his main character lives or dies, he should just keep writing until he figures it out, and not leave it up to us. Jeez!
Thanks for the warning!
Maybe he's setting you up for a sequel.
Have not read this book and while I do not have to have a neat tidy bow at the end I do have to have some conclusions drawn before the final page. So, no Nook can claim anger management capabilities?
Dana Stabenow turned her last book into a TV cliff hanger. I love her Kate Shugak books and greedily read them all, but this one left me howling at the end. I knew there had been some twaddle about making a TV series out of them and this book reads like it was written out of the screen plays for that. Not her usual stuff on that score either. Still I will read the next one and have the two last ones at the ready to see if I can make any sense out of this last disappointing unfinished story.
Post a Comment