Thursday, March 27, 2014

Sake

I had my first "intentional" sake last evening. When a group of us went a couple of years ago, the performing chefs squirted some in our wide open mouths with a squeeze bottle. Hell, could have been water they were squirting at us for all I know.

I liked the immediate "punch" feeling that it gave me. The atmosphere was right. I was with other women from work. I had an empty stomach. The air was full of friendship, laughter and gossip. The first little tiny cup of sake went down quickly and "bang", I was buzzed.

As with all alcohol, after you eat a meal - that same little cup of sake has no effect. Or not near as much. I long remember the days where I had to keep that buzz going and food was forfeited and in return I was blessed with a long, painful hangover the next morning. Ah, those were the days. (NOT!)

4 comments:

Grumpy said...

Yeah, I remember those days. Sake will knock you on your ass.

Tabor said...

I never got drunk on Saki...but did not like the day after when I got drunk on blue collar beer!

messymimi said...

It's the not wanting the morning after that's kept me from ever getting drunk, but an occasional half glass of wine with dinner is a nice thing.

kden said...

My parents used to drink that stuff and even had a little warming plate to keep it the right temperature. I think the reason they drank it was because they knew I would not be stealing any of it as a teenager; so gross!