Wow. I am so glad my name is not Alice. I stewed on this post for a while. I vacillated about the subject for a long time.
Finally, I just decided to post it and let you decide for yourself.
ALICE
What is A.L.I.C.E.?
A.L.I.C.E. is a program that will be used by the District to enhance, not replace the
current " LOCKDOWN" procedures used frequently in our educational
institutions. It involves education on options in crisis and situational awareness.
A.L.I.C.E. will provide staff and students with an increased chance of survival if there
is a surprise attack by an Active Shooter.
I was at a card making party last week and the sister of the lady who demonstrates the craft works in a school district north of us. She told us about their ALICE training. She was told by the firemen running the demonstration to tell the children to throw things at the intruder. Books, bookbags, chairs, etc...
ALICE is an acronym for Alert, Lockdown,Inform,Counter, Evacuate.
Here is another acronym for you. WTF?!
I may post more about what she told us but for now my head really hurts. Not because of this subject, it's probably seasonal allergies (which I have never had any problems with until the past couple of years). Yay me.
Oh, just one more note. Technology is phasing out the text books. So - forget them throwing books at the intruder. So, there you have it. Throw you iPad, kid.

4 comments:
I'm all for training teachers, students and staff, especially about situational awareness, but throwing objects at an active shooter is absurd.
We keep thinking that WE are doing something wrong and that we need to respond differently. If you are going to die anyway, anything you do will help. But this is just stupid. It reminds me of the color-coded alerts from our former genius president. It didn't do anything helpful and thus we have abandoned it.
Throw something, and become a target I'd guess. About as useful as my grade school days of practicing hiding under a desk to save our fannies from an atom bomb. Kiss your butt goodbye more like.
This is just crazy. Even the acronym that spells out 'ALICE' indicates that more time spent on the acronym than on the program itself. Duh!
Post a Comment