Monday, April 08, 2013

Baby time

It was a very small slice of time, but I was honored with holding above little girl for about fifteen minutes. She slept on my chest. She is one of the prettiest babies I have seen in a long time. But then most of my nieces and nephews have been producing boys. Not saying that boys are uglier - it is just that this one baked for so long she came out so developed. So...done. No left over wrinkles - all smooth and peaches and cream color, no yellow. Just one good looking baby.

Sister 1956 is still on cloud nine and rightfully so. Recent circumstances have moved her almost next door to the wee one and she just could not be happier.

On another branch of the tree, my nephew and his family went to an indoor water park for four days and his little imp of a three  year old jumped back onto the elevator one time when the doors were closing. Security for the motel found him 20 minutes later walking the hall back towards their room.

I was holding my breath typing that last sentence and just took a big gulp of air. I can't even begin to explain the fear a parent feels (or in my sister's case - a grandparent). My sister and her husband were there also. It was a nightmare for twenty minutes.

Motel floors all look the same mostly and you just have to wonder where he was and how many halls he walked down  - but nobody saw this little guy for 20 minutes? Any parent would stop the boy and call the front desk. 

I like to think that he was giggling and pushing the elevator buttons and just having a blast.

Ugh. My stomach hurts. Have you lost a child? I am not speaking of that horrible nightmare of losing a child for good. I hope I do not have any readers that have lost a child due to abduction. When people ask me what is my worst nightmare - that one is right there at the top of the list.

I am speaking of losing a child for a few minutes (or heaven forbid, hours). In a department store, at an amusement park, at the park. 

I have a story about my daughter walking for 1.5 miles by herself when she was five years old, but it is almost too painful for me to recall and tell it. I will muster up the courage (try to find the humor) and write a post about it.

Oh, oh! I have some news on the A.S.S. issue. I'll post that tomorrow.

2 comments:

Celia said...

Lost my eldest son in a department store. He was two and I was 9 months along with his brother and moving very slow. He kept yanking away and hiding under the clothing racks so I'd decided to go home. As I looked up for the next rack there he was half way up the escalator to the next floor. Ack. I got help from a saleslady and she called and another employee caught him on the second floor. Yes, I freaked out even though I got him back relatively promptly. What a helpless feeling.

Anonymous said...

What a good looking, pretty little gal. You're at your best when telling about family, especially the little ones. This one is simply darling.