Friday, April 05, 2013

A grab handle

I knew about the "grab" handle but did not know what it was called until I looked it up. I went through the drive through at the bank yesterday and shifted to reach for the canister. I bumped my head on my grab handle. I cursed under my breath and rubbed my head.Ouch!

While the bank was processing my request I looked at it. Why in hell is there one on my side of the car?

I have been in cars where I have "grabbed" the grab handle when I was the passenger. Not often, thank God. I usually don't ride with daredevils. I really didn't even need it while I taught two girls how to drive. My daughter and my niece.

I tried to imagine the driver ever needing a grab handle. It would make sense to me that if you were in a situation where you were driving fast or recklessly enough to grab the handle, you should certainly have both hands on the steering wheel. That would be what I would be grabbing.

Then this morning as I looked through images, it occurred to me. Oh, maybe it is for cars that are shipped to Australia or Ireland. Where the steering wheel is on the other side of the car. Maybe it is just easier to manufacture one on each side.

And the hairy arm up there? Not mine.

6 comments:

Richard said...

Peruby...I see part of you is still wandering around in the desert some... Or as Grandpa used to say "Porch light on but nobody home".

Grab handles are for use in getting into or out of your car not for panic situations but I guess they could be used for that also...:-)

Celia said...

Those driver's side handles are of no use that I can see, they'd need to be on the dash to help me into a car. My steering wheel doubles as an entry device.

Tabor said...

I use them for stability if we are going around a steep curve...but NOT if I am driving. I am not sure how, as Richard writes, they would help me get out of the car on the drivers side as I would need to push from below my waist if I needed more strength.

Anonymous said...

Richard is right. Grab handles are put there to assist getting into and out of the car. Everyone doesn't need them. They are handy for those of us who do.

kden said...

You make the most mundane of objects very interesting! I agree with Richard and Bill (except for the Porch Light comment, ha) I don't even know if I have one so now I'm curious.

Peruby said...

LOL! Hey guys I think my life is more like the porch light has burned out and I just fumble around in the dark.