Key West is known for the bar scene. I guess. A group of us did go out one evening and meandered in and out of bars. We started at the Hard Rock for dinner. A lot of the bars in Key West are multi-faceted. You walk in one place and if you continue to walk around or upstairs, you enter another bar area with different music and a different crowd, but it is the same named bar.
On our trolley tour, we were shown the bar that opens at 7 a.m. and closes at 4 a.m. We didn't make it to that one. Heh, heh. There is an open atmosphere in most of the Duvall street bars. There is no glass on the windows. I am not certain there were any doors. I have no idea how they lock up after hours. I would have to say our favorite was Pete's Dueling Pianos.
A lot of the drinkers stood outside on the sidewalk. No drinks allowed outside but some had one foot in the bar and one foot outside. They spilled out and mingled with the tourists. Perhaps a lot of them were tourists. It was odd for me to see this mixing of people drinking and families walking (with little children) through the same drinking crowds of people. I'd say it was about eleven p.m.
There was one group that came in. Four in total. I only saw the two guys dressed (horribly) as women. They had exagerrated make up on and scarves and old lady skirts with tragic white hose on. Somebody in my group said that there were two women with them. I only saw the men. It was amusing.

5 comments:
I'm not a drinker, drink seldom and little, but I LOVED Papa Hemingway's bar. I guess just because of the literary history behind it. I could not get over the mixing of families and the OPEN and OVERLY public gay/lesbian/transsexual couples. I have nothing at all against a person's sexuality, but do not want it expressed on a public sidewalk - not even heterosexual public displays. And there was so much of that to get used to. Most people just seemed to take it all in stride. I guess I was less shocked after a week there, but I know what you mean.
Sloppy Joes was the name of the bar, not Papa Hemingway's. Did you go to the Hemingway house? Or the lighthouse? Or Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville to eat? Such a cool place. All of it.
I hope you had a good time. I've never been to Key West but I've been to similar places in our little old world.
Dog Hair - my sister and I made it to Sloppy Joe's in the afternoon for lunch. They had the best rum rummer (out of the three places I tried). I did not go there at night.
No on the Hemingway house and lighthouse. We also missed the aquarium.
I did make it to Maragaritaville twice. Once to try a rum runner and once to have coffee. The atmosphere is great. I have to laugh because at Margaritaville when you go to the bathroom it says "2 miles" and they were not kidding. That was the longest walk to a bathroom ever! I cannot imagine drinking there.
Bill, thank-you, I did have a great time. From what I hear of New Orleans this Duvall street sounds similar. Very open and just a nice friendly atmosphere.
Post a Comment