Mush. I saw my dad eat it. I never touched it. Nevuh, I tell you - nevuh! It looks about as appealing as a blog of squishy lard.
Why is my brain mush? The next day after my awful day was worse. MUCH worse. On Wednesday afternoon when I was battling the fact that the filter could now access youtube and facebook did it ever ONCE occur to me to check to make certain that the filter was properly filtering AT ALL?!
I have been so focused on the two favorite sites for students that I did not think to check if the filter was even working.
Guess what? It weren't.
OMG!
I had a school call me at 8:03 a.m. Thursday morning. I answered and I heard a whisper in my ear. Even with no student in earshot you just do not say it too loud. "My students can get to porn."
Somebody dropped a bomb on me. Well, it sure felt like it. I was already sick. Did I panic? Well...maybe a little. I called my manager and asked him to re-boot both boxes (we had nothing to lose at that time) while I called an emergency call to the company (located in California and just after 5:00 A.M. their time).
All morning we worked. All morning. I placed a few updates to my schools and staff to let them know how we were progressing (which we were not). Not at all. The software company tried this, they tried that. They escalated my problem to an engineer. They were literally scratching their heads. They were ! I could hear them over the telephone line. Scratch, scratch.
When a tech from a school district would send me an e-mail saying that all of a sudden his school could get out to facebook it took everything I had not to write back "Oh yeah, have you tried p!ayb0y.com?" Because after that I bet facebook isn't such a big deal any longer. LOL! Note: We had sent message to all the schools that we were experiencing filter problems, but some just do not read their e-mails. They don't have time, they say.
Oh, sigh. When I left yesterday at 4:00 p.m. the filters were still not working. At noon my home site went down. Severe hardware failure. Was that the reason my filters were not working properly? They did not get the system back on line until after 8 p.m. last evening and I can go in to work today and test my filters. I will be holding my breath. Please let that have been the reason because I don't think my neck can handle another five to six hours on the phone with tech support.
I met about eight family members after work and immediately gulped down two cold beers. I ended up giving half of the third away and drinking water from there on out. I ate a meal, we had a lot of laughs then I went home and went to bed.
Oh - let me gripe just a little bit. I have been with my organization for sixteen years and this one little pet peeve has never changed. When my organization's home office went down, did anybody call me (or my co-worker in another city) to let us know what the hell was going on? Oh, no. I had to call schools to ask them what the issue was. They filled me in.
To my organization's staff: "Thanks, guys". And they wonder why I cop an attitude. How many times have I given a school worker this stupid, dumb look when they ask me something that I don't know about my own organization. The school people always laugh. It is like my organization is this big joke. Nobody can believe that they do not tell us (me and the worker in another city) anything. Always the last to know.
I have complained - you betcha! I tried saying it nice, I tried being sarcastic, I tried whining. Still the same. My managers are very sensitive. You have to choose your words carefully when you try to make a point - so I just quit. They fly off the handle. They point fingers. They make excuses. They tell me I have a bad attitude. I've been through many meetings and arguments about this very issue. It gets me nowhere. I should just laugh it off. The problem with that is - it is not so funny when I would have spent another three to four hours troubleshooting with the software company trying to figure out what was wrong when all along it may be the hardware failure that they had. Nobody thought to call me and say "You know what? You may want to wait and see if this had been the problem all along."
I told the software company that we had a failure. That I did not know if it would cause this failure or not. We were to wait and see. I just hope the software company does not send us a bill.
I almost (I repeat almost) tore into the software people that this resolution was taking too long! That we should not have to be down that long. I am SO glad I did not open up that can of whoop ass on them. Maybe it was because I was sick. Maybe it was because I felt that would just anger them and delay the solution. Truth be told I was waiting until it was resolved and I had a couple of names to call and lay into them. I guess we will find out today if the fault lies with our equipment failure or if we still have an issue and will need to work with them all day again today.
I know one thing. The schools are in an uproar. This (there have been SO many more) is probably the proverbial straw. There are going to be repercussions to this latest disaster. I can feel it.
To my organization's staff: "Thanks, guys". And they wonder why I cop an attitude. How many times have I given a school worker this stupid, dumb look when they ask me something that I don't know about my own organization. The school people always laugh. It is like my organization is this big joke. Nobody can believe that they do not tell us (me and the worker in another city) anything. Always the last to know.
I have complained - you betcha! I tried saying it nice, I tried being sarcastic, I tried whining. Still the same. My managers are very sensitive. You have to choose your words carefully when you try to make a point - so I just quit. They fly off the handle. They point fingers. They make excuses. They tell me I have a bad attitude. I've been through many meetings and arguments about this very issue. It gets me nowhere. I should just laugh it off. The problem with that is - it is not so funny when I would have spent another three to four hours troubleshooting with the software company trying to figure out what was wrong when all along it may be the hardware failure that they had. Nobody thought to call me and say "You know what? You may want to wait and see if this had been the problem all along."
I told the software company that we had a failure. That I did not know if it would cause this failure or not. We were to wait and see. I just hope the software company does not send us a bill.
I almost (I repeat almost) tore into the software people that this resolution was taking too long! That we should not have to be down that long. I am SO glad I did not open up that can of whoop ass on them. Maybe it was because I was sick. Maybe it was because I felt that would just anger them and delay the solution. Truth be told I was waiting until it was resolved and I had a couple of names to call and lay into them. I guess we will find out today if the fault lies with our equipment failure or if we still have an issue and will need to work with them all day again today.
I know one thing. The schools are in an uproar. This (there have been SO many more) is probably the proverbial straw. There are going to be repercussions to this latest disaster. I can feel it.

3 comments:
No fun right after being sick. What does everything hit us all at once. Thank you for being a good employee and keeping the schools as save as you can.
I often felt that I was the last to know things in my company; it's a terrible feeling when the customer knows about something ahead of you.
Hang in there.
I hope you're feeling better.
Post a Comment