Saturday, August 29, 2009

Roller boy

My hair is always limp and tangles easily. I used to wear a long perm, but have not had the money or the inclination to keep that old fashioned style. It is outdated. But, I loved it. It suited me and my stringy hair. To keep my bangs feathered back, I use one roller when the humidity is high or when I am in a hurry or travelling. This is one of the rollers that I use.

This little boy belongs to the girlfriend of my nephew. He was quite shy at first but warmed up to the rest of us over the evening that we camped out at the fair. It didn't take him long. We played ball with him. He has quite an arm. That is my cosmetic mirror that he is holding. After I put the roller in his hair he gave me a dubious look and then looked over at his mother. A plea for help?

I didn't leave it there long. My daughter is constantly saying she hates kids. That is because she has not been around them. If she were around them all the time she would REALLY hate kids. Actually she doesn't know what to do for them or with them. This boy always takes a shine to her when she is around. His mother has jet black hair and my daughter is blond, so I don't know why he is attracted to her. He will not let her be. By Sunday she was holding him most of the time. Her arm hurt for two days after the fair. I laughed. I got pictures of the girl who "hates kids" holding him.

We've named the boxer. Slade. It doesn't roll off my tongue easily, though. When I yell quickly at him - heaven only knows what comes out of my mouth. Sl-l-loane! S-s-suh-lade! Until my brain registers and I get the name right.

A very nice veterinarian (not mine) offered to scan him for a microchip. I called all the vet offices in the neighborhood. I have called our county dog pound, our humane shelter (new this year), the sheriff's office, the police station, two radio stations and four vet's offices. She scanned. No microchip. I thanked her for trying. Everybody wants to hear the story. They can't believe that somebody would abandon this beauty of a dog. The vet guessed his age at 1 year or 2. That is what I guessed.

He and the pups are sleeping quietly at my feet right now. They rough house a bit and then crash. The pups yelp when Slade gets too rough, but they come right back for more, so unless I see them cowering and trying to hide from him, I pretty much let them work it out amongst themselves. He gets rough and pounces at them sometimes stepping on them with his giant paws.

We needed new harnesses for the pups (they outgrew the little ones we got them last month) and figured we would get one for Slade also. The choker chain chaffed his neck and made it bleed so I needed another way to contain him while walking him.

My daughter and I went to college orientation yesterday. Coming home, I was not even thinking. I opened the back door and yelled "Outside!" without putting a leash on Slade. He came bounding out. My daughter yelled , he took one look back at me and off he ran. I was crushed. I was kicking myself and in shock. I grabbed the little leash we had been using and scooted in the direction he ran. I was mortified. All I could think of was "What is going to happen to him now?" I felt that I had failed miserably. I had let him down. Finally he ran around a house and I crouched down and pleaded with him to come to me. He acted all shy and coy and he threw his front paws out and kept ducking his head in a playful manner like "Aw, shucks!" All I could think of was "Hey! Don't be so shy, we slept together for Chrissakes!" He came to me, I got the leash on and I doubt that I will let that happen again.

Anyway, now I have the harness and a sturdy leash. The pups have their new harnesses for when we walk them. Poor Sable. I think I saw her pack her bags and head north to my sister's house. I called her and said to expect her. LOL! Not really. I do have to find some time and give her some extra special lovin' this week-end. She is being very, very good.

Well, it's time for a fresh cup of java. I dread it because when I move, they move. Then they are awake and back at it. Sigh. But I will tell you this. Our house is full of laughter. Some boisterous yelling, but laughter none the less. We are having a ball with all these critters. I'll cry with the vet bills, but until then - let's just romp and knock things over. Run and hide and then peek out and romp some more.

2 comments:

Cheyenne said...

Whew! Close call there with Slade. It sounds like you have your hands full when they are awake. But the house would be rather quiet without them.


(The store we got our fridge from was Lowe's, but I can't fault them for what happened. It couldn've happened anywhere and it just shows the lack of caring by people these days. The delivery boys were
very nice and courteous though.)

Tabor said...

I wonder if just sitting on the lawn and whipping out something really delicious smelling to eat would bring him back really fast. He seems to know that he has a home.