Wednesday, May 06, 2009

You've got mail


Seen in a mailbox

Two sisters and I went to WV to begin planning a reunion this past week-end. I suppose if my sister didn't smoke we would never have seen the five baby birds nested inside a mailbox. The door was left open all the time (of course). The mommy bird did not show while we took pictures. I would have removed the door completely for fear that some ornery kid would come along and close it. This nest was outside of a flower shop. I suppose they check on it from time to time.

We laughed a lot while visiting relatives. Old memories and old sayings. We got the ball rolling on this first annual reunion on my father's side. My Mom was born in the same vicinity but she was (almost) an only child. Her half brother didn't come along until she was ten and she never met him until they were in their fifties.

The hardest part will be no electricity in the shelter house. The grills were in pretty bad shape but after talking to one cousin he knew who to talk to and will have new ones there by August.

There were 8 children in my father's family. One did not have any children. But, one had fourteen. I am thinking about 35 children from this original 8. No one remains of the original 8, but you can imagine the children and grandchildren. They are scattered all over. Some in New York, some in Maryland, some in Virginia and some in Ohio. It will be interesting to see how many show up. Our family will have a definite 20 show (maybe more). We know of 20 that confirmed while on our recent visit. Outside of that is any body's guess.

Terminology is different there. We chuckled at our one cousin. While calling relatives close by his call waiting kept beeping. He was trying to answer it. He was not successful. (I usually never am, either). He said "The kids say to press the tic-tac-toe button."

2 comments:

Tabor said...

Neat symbolism with you visiting with brothers and sisters and these little birds being part of a brand new family.

Ralph said...

That is amazing building that nest in a mailbox.
Good luck with reunion.
Ralph