Saturday, May 16, 2009

Hamming it up

This is my brother's step grandson. I think I have that correct.

He went with his kindergarten class. He is the one hamming it up. Which reminded me of my schooling before first grade. I went to head start. I always hated that title. I always thought I went because my sisters taught it. That is what I thought. Perhaps I will ask more. I had the perfect opportunity last night but didn't even think of it. My two oldest sisters and I met for dinner.

So I read where head start is for "low income families". Of course. That is why I hated the title. You are labeled for life. I can recall a few times saying "I went to head start" when the subject of kindergarten came up.

Hey! And what is with his tee shirt? I'll have to ask my brother. If anybody in my daughter's school wore that they would be in 'all day suspension'. No cross bones of any kind allowed.

As for not being ashamed of the title? You can say that all you want, but it doesn't amount to a hill of beans while you are in school and at the mercy of the other kids. I can remember my brother (the step grandfather of the boy above) having his name written on the blackboard along with some other students who all received "free lunches." Talk about humiliating a child.

And the really bizarre thing now is, it is almost a status of pride to qualify for financial aid in the schools. But, back in the 60's? You just hung your head and scratched the dirt with the toe of your well-worn, scratched up penny loafer and prayed that the subject would move onto something else, and quickly.

And, I have to add this. I will always remember the merciful classmates who would change the subject quickly. And I will always, always remember the ones who were cruel. They never need to wonder why I don't chat amicably when we meet by chance. And why I will never, ever go to my class reunions. Okay, never say never. LOL!

Aw, who wants to go down this road on the beginning of a beautiful Saturday morning? Nobody, that's who! I am off to visit an old friend today. I bonded with her at my first job out of high school. Her father was a big drunkard, too. Leaving her Mom to raise six kids with limited resources. Whoops, there I go again. Enough!

1 comment:

Cheyenne said...

We didn't have head start in the schools I attended. I didn't learn about that until my daughter was in school. And I still didn't understand it.