Here is another view of the falls I found last week. It is as close to the jungle as we get here in Ohio. I wanted to mention the book I finished reading a couple of weeks ago.When I was in high school I remember the war ending and I remember having a Vietnamese family move in down the road from us and our bus would pick them up for school. I worked for a restaurant where the owner was a Vietnamese lady. Tu. She had married a service man and he brought her back to Ohio with him. She was not afraid to try anything. The last I heard she had moved to Las Vegas. She divorced and they say it was her family money that purchased the restaurant so she got to keep it. I worked there about three years on and off. Other times I drank there and we kept on good terms. I have no idea where she is or what she is doing. If she even stayed in Vegas. She was married about a total of 4 times.
The book was about the Hmong people. I had never even heard of this race of people. The life is from a girl's perspective. She told about her family and how it came to be that they ended up in Minnesota. Her family lived in the jungle. I think it was in Laos. After the war ended, they were not welcome in Vietnam, Laos or Thailand. After some years in a refugee camp, her family came to the United States. It was a very good read.
I find myself thinking as I read about what happened to her Mother in 1979. Because the woman was close to my age. A year or two younger. About the time I was 19 and working an office job, dancing in the discos at night. Her Mother was struggling to stay alive in the jungle.
I find myself thinking as I read about what happened to her Mother in 1979. Because the woman was close to my age. A year or two younger. About the time I was 19 and working an office job, dancing in the discos at night. Her Mother was struggling to stay alive in the jungle.
I sat humbled by the story. Why is it that I could dance in a disco while her poor Mother dodged bullets in the jungle at the same time?
4 comments:
When I first heard about the Hmong people, it was that they help the Amish with quilting. I did a whole post on the whole business some time ago. A lot of quilts we think are made entirely by the Amish are not. They get help. And that turned me against so-called hand made quilts by the Amish. It took the "pristineness" out of them, if that is a word.
This is a great story about Tu and the Hmong people - who I will admit I know very little about.
Disco dancing and dodging bullets - doesn't seem quite right does it.
I also enjoyed your previous post about the falls. I hate salt and vinegar chips.
Thanks for your nice comment - I appreciate it.
Ralph
I sometimes think of things that happen in my life that are so wonderful and just by luck or time I am enjoying something while someone elsewhere is struggling terribly. Life sure isn't fair.
I know what you mean, why is it that we are able to do such frivilous things and others are fighting for their lives? I guess it is just being here, in the US, luck that we were born here and raised here, without having to fight for every morsel, well most of us anyhow, or every freedom. I may check out that book, sounds like a really good read, and right along my lines of non fiction! Thans for the recomendation.
Post a Comment