Friday, May 22, 2026

Curler casualty


 Fall of 1970 I believe.  5th grade.  I slept in curlers.  The night before picture day.  Why would anybody think that sleeping (actually, not sleeping) in curlers would make you look fresh and rested on picture day?  I was 10.  I did not have much control over it.  I had straight, stringy, fine hair.  It tangled easily.  The curlers left weird mis-shaped dents in the front part of my hair.  I hated not having bangs.  I had them through fourth grade and had bangs again in 8th grade.  Fifth through seventh - no bangs.  I hated every school picture from that time.


Speaking of curlers, my nephew was an extra in the movie Super 8.  When I watched the movie I laughed at the part where a Mom was talking to a police officer about her missing daughter. She told him her daughter had curlers in her hair.  She asked the policeman "Do you know what curlers are?"  He said "Yes! I know what curlers are!"  The movie was written to take place in 1979 in Weirton WV.  I laughed. I loved that little piece of dialogue.

No comments: