Sunday, May 03, 2026

A Florida Jaunt


A couple siblings and I traveled to Florida in 2003 to assist our half-uncle back to his home in West Palm Beach after he suffered a heart attack on my front door step.  Yep.  We were having a family get together to welcome him and as he arrived at my house, brother 1953 and his wife did also.  My half-uncle told my brother his arm hurt, his chest hurt and he felt like he was going to throw up.  My brother and his wife (both EMTs) recognized he was having a heart attack.  We took him to the ER, they put a stent in and he stayed a week at my house to recover and a few of us took a weeks vacation and drove his car back to Florida.

Back to my regularly schedule program - one day at the beach I happened to look up and there in front of me was a lady with no top on.  Hmm...I didn't think I was on a beach that allowed that.  Sure enough, eventually a couple of gentlemen came and spoke to her.  I didn't watch, I figured she had enough problems. She did have a fellow with her but he was out in the water at the time.  She was sun bathing.  She did look a bit foreign but I really couldn't swear to that.

I think she put her top on, I don't believe they left. Like I said, I didn't want to stare at her so I don't recall what she did.  I just went on about my business.

I have no idea why this memory came to me today, but I was curious so I looked up topless beaches in the United States.   I couldn't find topless, only nude.  A handful in Florida, California and Hawaii.  Two in Texas and one each in Massachusetts, Michigan, Nevada, Oregon, New Jersey and Wisconsin.

When I lived in Virginia in the mid-80s, the locals told us there was a nude beach in North Carolina. I believe they said in Nags Head. Or what they call the Outer Banks (OBX).  I found a site that said there were several nude beaches in both Carolinas but they were not mentioned in the other sites I read.

Well, it's not my cup of tea.  I don't even feel comfortable wearing low-cut tops.  

1 comment:

messymimi said...

Having a heart attack away from home would be a huge nightmare.

As for the nude or topless beaches, they’re not my thing, either.