Wednesday, May 13, 2026

2nd batch of eggs


 Mama Robin has been busy.  It is hard to say if this is the same robin or a different one.  Probably the same one as my daughter looked it up and they can have 3 - 4 clutches a season.  The first batch had 3 eggs.  Now, I am watching the 2nd batch develop.  They are not out in the open as this image makes them look.  I pull the branches away and stick my phone up as close as I can to get the picture.  I make sure mama is out and about before I take photos.  I leave the nest there at the end of summer so that a mama bird can use it the next season, but I think this one is newly created.  Maybe it's the same bird each year. Oh, I just looked it up. The average lifespan of a robin bird is 16 months but some can live up to 8 years if conditions are ideal.  

I think I've only seen robin's eggs in real life.  Other eggs I've seen have only been images. Hold up.  Looking on line the Northern cardinal eggs look familiar.  I believe I have seen them in real life.

1 comment:

messymimi said...

How nice to have a robin nesting so close! Do you watch the babies as they grow and learn to fly?