Saturday, October 31, 2020

Eating fresh during the Quarantine/Pandemic


On a good day, I am able to offer the bearded dragons plenty of fresh vegetables and a bit of fruit. The female (now passed) ate her greens very well. My daughter raised her from when she was a tiny baby. But the male we obtained after he was almost a year old. He is quite persnickety when it comes to greens. Well, green he won't eat. He will eat blueberries. He was doing very well with squash, carrots and sweet red peppers but recently I am lucky if I can get him to eat a blueberry or two. When I do offer him the blueberries I put them in a tiny container of water so I can get some water into him.

It is difficult to keep fresh greens during the pandemic. I try not to go out very often, but if I want fresh greens then I have to stay vigilant.  But then he hasn't been eating. I wonder if he is in a sort of semi brumation stage. When the female brumated, she went inside her "hide" (a small cave kept dark and she felt safe in there) and slept for a month.

The male will crawl in his "hide" every once in a while, but mostly just plops himself into the corner of the tank and sleeps there. Barely moving for about 3 days. Then he comes out, eats a blueberry or two, eats a handful of dubia roaches and back to his corner. I try to get him into a bath on the days that he moves around. My daughter told me to add a bit of calcium into the bath water. A way to get calcium into him - absorbs it through the water. He also gets water this way. He won't drink it outright like the female did.

He is about six feet away from my computer desk and I look over at him often. He used to be VERY active when the female was alive. After she passed he lost his zing. She was kept in a separate tank and we blocked the glass so they could not see one another. I guess he could smell her. But he watches me and I glance at him. They can just stare for hours without moving. I guess I'm kind of used to him over there and since I am working from home I have had time to study his changes and the way he does things. 

They really are quite remarkable creatures. He loves it when I softly pet the top of his head with my finger. I know I've hit the right spot when his eyes close. Mostly I use a soft make-up brush. My daughter and I went through a phase a couple of years back when for some reason or another, we bought a bunch of make up brushes. Naturally, the ones I use for the dragon I do not use for me. A large one with the bristles fanned out is the cat's favorite toy. He loves that thing. I haven't seen it in a while, so he must have pushed it under something. I'll have to look for it.

1 comment:

messymimi said...

Studying our pets is a fascinating business.