Friday, September 04, 2020

Schools and social distancing


 Most of us have been inside a school bus. It has been a while for me, but I don't think they have changed all that much. The seats ?  Pretty much the same.

While having my teeth cleaned today, the hygienist was telling me about her niece return to school. The students are not permitted lockers, they must carry ALL of their gear with them from room to room. Wow. Here come the back problems.

The school created clear plastic shields for each child to carry. They have all their stuff in their backpack on their back and a plastic shield. I suppose they are to sit the shield on their desk during class?

She touched on a couple of other things schools were doing, but then hit me with this one. Her niece is on the volleyball team. The varsity and junior teams both piled into two school buses (3 to a seat) for an hour and a half trip one way. Plastic shields nowhere in sight, there wouldn't have been room for them, anyway. I know this much. I wouldn't want to be an administrator making decisions and rules in the school districts today because they are going to be damned if they do, and damned if they don't. But I suppose they are used to that.

4 comments:

messymimi said...

Yes, they are used to it, schools can't please everyone.

Anyway, some of the schools are using the clear shields you wear instead of masks. This is especially true for teachers when teaching young children phonics, the kids have to be able to see the teacher's mouth.

It's going to be a long, strange school year, i believe.

islandwonder said...

You are right. It is a lose lose situation for them. I would not want that stress in my life.

kden said...

Such a stressful time, I'm sure glad I don't have any little ones in school.

Kay said...

Thank you so much for your visit today and comment. I didn’t know you could look up a conversation history on the Echo Dot.